So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

Sheeeit!

It's a tragedy that a climber of your skill and graft had to go through that mate, I had no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Aw I'm not here to write this to get any sympathy mate, just a thought of what can happen. At the end of the day I still have me health my family and all you guys. I wanted to get this thread going to show just how difficult is really is being something that's way to glorified! And I'm guilty of showing that also! But a lot of fresh out of college lads that haven't experienced the real benefits of being employed may never know if someone doesn't show them. :)

I reckon you're putting a negative spin on it mate.

For one thing you left out the part about all that fine ass you contract climbers get to slam.

As an employee I'm stuck with " Old Faithful"

It wasn't ment to be a positive thread mate ;)

Just ment to make a positive outcome :)

As for all that fine ass!!! You where great last Friday night bro :D

It wasn't ment to be a positive thread mate ;)

Just ment to make a positive outcome :)

As for all that fine ass!!! You where great last Friday night bro :D

Hahahaha!

Stick that in your flesh-pipe and smoke it Newton!

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Being a freelancer as a way of filling in whilst you start your own thing, ie saving for a tipper/chipper is fine.

Just doing it as a rock star thing has no future.

Why not? Not that I am a rock star by any stretch, but I do alright I am hired help. I only run a top handle and my climbing kit everything else is supplied so my kit costs are fairly low and everything related to being freelance is offset against tax.

Been doing this a while and have really enjoyed everything I have done, being a freelance isn't exclusively being a rock star climber, I turn my hand to anything I can, and the more varied my work other than being a rock star climber means I have a skill set and experience which is valued (I hope!) for those I work for.

I am not a beast worker I am not the guy who is going to day in day out do an epic day it's not sustainable, I am in it for the long haul.

I am a freelance worker with absoloutly no intention of starting my own business, to me starting my own business is not sustainable over the years I have seen many a small outfit form and fizzle out.

Basically I feel freelancers are an important part of this industry as experience is king.

It's right that the freelance climber is the first to go and it's always for rubbish climbs. Well mostly. It does always surprise me when someone charging me £130.00 a day whinging about it though.

I will point out that being a contractor if your thinking "oh! I was going to freelance I'll just become a contractor." Basically amplify the costs by a stupid amount then add machinery costs, yard costs and that lovely tax bill you have to pay.

It's right that the freelance climber is the first to go and it's always for rubbish climbs. Well mostly. It does always surprise me when someone charging me £130.00 a day whinging about it though.

I will point out that being a contractor if your thinking "oh! I was going to freelance I'll just become a contractor." Basically amplify the costs by a stupid amount then add machinery costs, yard costs and that lovely tax bill you have to pay.

If you get this you have made plenty, its when you get no tax bill you need to worry :biggrin: