Some fencing photos

Robert_S

• 10 months later...

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

wondering how everyone puts in their fence strainer posts. assume hand dig hole and options available postcrete/concrete - fill with whatever came out - stones to lock in - hardcore - chip and dust.

personally i go for either concrete or fill with chip and dust, pack in as tight as possible very thin layers at a time.

just wondering as work has recently done some strainers and they are more mobile than a mobile thing, done with stones lobbed in around and assured as ground dries out will tighten up.

so either i do slow way and take too long or new work method is best and i should try it

as for digging posts in if i used a auger around here it would spit me across fields all the ground is chalk with large flints. have a large wrecking bar newcastle shovel shoveler, and a spade and fork. 3 of us dug 50 20 inch holes for dragons teeth in a day and concreted. as for a borer on a digger talking to a friend as was looking at using one and he says they bounce when on stoney ground so have to keep hand digging to remove stones .so just as quick to hand dig.

will post photos of dragons teeth that was stoney ground plus roots from trees.

next job should be better clay and gravel so bit easier digging.

as for digging posts in if i used a auger around here it would spit me across fields all the ground is chalk with large flints. have a large wrecking bar newcastle shovel shoveler, and a spade and fork. 3 of us dug 50 20 inch holes for dragons teeth in a day and concreted. as for a borer on a digger talking to a friend as was looking at using one and he says they bounce when on stoney ground so have to keep hand digging to remove stones .so just as quick to hand dig.

will post photos of dragons teeth that was stoney ground plus roots from trees.

next job should be better clay and gravel so bit easier digging.

I have a borer on a digger, on rocky ground you do have to remove the odd rock by hand if the auger flight doesn't carry it out the hole. On shillet ie flint and compacted ground they are very quick, mine will drill an 8" hole 1.2 meters deep in around 1-2 minutes in hard ground,.

As for setting strainers by hand I tend to put a foot at the bottom to stop it twisting when the wires pull tight then pack rocks, soil whatever comes out. I personally would never concrete a strainer post in, it will rot quicker for a start, more expensive and just no need, if you can,t get a strainer solid by using foots and compacting soil and rock then you are doing something wrong.