Green Larch Timber Frame

ucoulddoit

Good work, I don't think the vertical plate n slot would be over doing it as it nice n simple.😀 Noticed you said larch had been down a while, so was wondering how long larch is usable for if left laying in the round in the wood (or a stack for that matter)?

Most of the logs were raised off the ground which had helped to delay detrioration but where short sections were in contact with the ground, e.g. the flared section at the base of a tree, the timber was starting to decay, especially the sapwood. Another issue is staining of the timber which is more likely if left in the round. But I'm not sure of the limiting timescales. Fingers crossed the cladding is looking OK. Maybe someone else could comment on this?

Andrew

• 1 month later...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Planning to be finished by the Autumn but don't be surprised if it is later than that! Would be good to see some pictures of milling, fabrication and erection of your frame.

Andrew

Here's some pics. Sorry didn't take too many. Frame erected minus wind braces, milling the roof, pile of roof timbers and started to pitch roof before heavens open.

1463726246591.jpg.f906ca99233dc9cd9f41810e82c740ea.jpg

1463726275611.jpg.9f4fc5d595e3da3504d1656d9e2694e4.jpg

1463726295049.jpg.2d37fa1e7dcd4d04c7b1f16ffa6dac3a.jpg

1463726314693.jpg.be78517e781b70242859c8f084a8de0c.jpg

• 11 months later...
Hi Andrew, this looks like a great project and fantastic workmanship! Any updates? Is it all finished now? How's it looking/holding up?

Thanks for the compliments Toby. I finished the wall cladding on the walls facing the prevailing winds last Autumn, then had a break over the winter as that allowed me to move all my milled dry boards undercover. Just got going again a few weeks ago with making doors and should be finished in a few weeks. I'll post some pictures of the cladding details which provide ventilation and keep the rain out, as others were interested in the detail discussed on another thread.

Andrew

A few photos showing the cladding detail which will hopefully give plenty of ventilation and keep most of the rain out. Also lets in some daylight.

First photo shows the inner boards nailed to the rails with small blocks of wood between them fixed onto the rails using a hot melt glue gun. The top of the blocks slope down and away from the board and there are gaps each side to allow any rain which gets through to drain away. Second photo is inside once the outer boards are fixed in place. It was necessary to pre-drill through the outer boards and the blocks to prevent splitting the blocks when driving the nails.

It is a 10mm gap between the inner and outer boards which overlap by 25mm so in theory there is not a direct line for rain to get through as the boards are about 20mm thick and the gap between adjacent boards is about 50mm. Appears to have stayed largely dry through the winter storms and didn’t take too much longer to fix the outer boards this way, once I’d got into a routine. But I have broken quite a few drill bits……

Andrew

5976749fde51f_IMG_0327compressed.jpg.97364a822f316c8d78ce2b0c4de7854b.jpg

5976749fe450e_IMG_0337compressed.jpg.6b9bc2fb5ac02c78506f5c0e03745180.jpg

5976749fe71cb_IMG_0338compressed.jpg.515373acb5be1f126528977f24dca3de.jpg

5976749fe9f62_IMG_0029compressed.jpg.dacb6c2aeae3f6bcd36d683526bf0a46.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
There is a small chamfer around the top of the plinth and this could have been made larger for an exposed location. Also, it is difficult to cut the end of a post exactly square and finish the top of the concrete exactly level, so the post almost ineviteably sits on one corner or one side rather than over the whole area. To try to solve this, I put four layers of DPC material about half the size of column at the centre so that it sits on this and there is thin gap around the perimeter. But water is still wicking in so for an exposed location I'd think about a vertical steel plate in a slot and bolted through the column. But that is probably a bit over the top for a simple outbuilding.

Andrew

I put a piece of lead or slate under the bottom of the posts, slightly smaller than the posts. This seems to stop wicking problems. Easier to make a hole in lead than slate for the thread bar to go through.

Nice buildings. I sometimes get to do some timber-framing with a mate. He is the expert. Not sure if i have posted this before but here is a time-laps of us erecting a nice big shed to house the wood mill. All joints cut by hand (over many months... first big project).

only 2 and bit minutes long.. [ame]

[/ame]

Nice buildings. I sometimes get to do some timber-framing with a mate. He is the expert. Not sure if i have posted this before but here is a time-laps of us erecting a nice big shed to house the wood mill. All joints cut by hand (over many months... first big project).

only 2 and bit minutes long..

Great video! That's a lot of joints to cut!

How many days did it take to erect it to the stage at the end of the video?