self propelled chipper (Shreks wee chipper)

Stephen Blair

i have toyed with the idea of a tracked chipper for a while now, but the fact that it is on tracks i find a pest, they rip up lawns, dislodge slabs and are pretty crap in the mud. and turning them on hard standing is a night mare unless you dont mind recking the tracks. can you get a 4 wheel chipper that is self propelled?even a small woodpecker on the likes of a scag base unit would be awesome.:001_smile:

there was a write up in essential arb on fitting motors to a wheeld chipper a while back ,thats an opotion i reckon

I know what you mean Stevie but I'm not sure anything exists... you could make something up but would take time and energy me thinks.

The good thing with the caravan mover system is that is bolts on, takes 20 seconds to do, doesn't add that much weight and you can still tow the chipper normally. The disadvantage is it's not as good as it could be.

Am getting the chipper out in a min so will post the vid! :001_smile:

I don't think tracked chippers really have any of the problems you stated above Steve.

They only rip up Lawns or paving slabs if you turn them in to tight a circle.

Turning the variable track machines on hard standing is easy if you narrow the tracks in.

I have been impressed with how little damage the machine does to peoples gardens,even when the grass is soaking wet.The weight of the machine spread out over two tracks is so much less than a four wheel machine.

:dito:

4 wheel drive chipper?! Ground pressure would be higher so no less mess made I reckon. My A530T turns on a sixpence and it doesn't wreck the tracks imo - good quality Bridgestones. Yes they will mark a lawn - just put some osb boards down.

Jo Beau M500 is a concept you could follow - guess you just need it bigger...:001_smile:

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

i think some are missing my point, i am not faulting tracked chippers, they have their place but light and extremely ground sensative they are not, so in the domestic market they are not ideal, i was thinking of a small petrol chipper, nice and light with quad tyres.

JO BEAU M500 then mate - brilliant machine - just keep it sharp.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xn1seCGG1xw]YouTube - Jo Beau M500 pro-chipper / woodchipper[/ame]

:001_smile:

thats the fella john, looks cool. what are they like with brash though?i hate it when chippers get demod with straight bits of wood, that we thing would be getting used for hedge cuttings, trimmings and conifers with me. go on give me the price and i will go and have a sit down

would you look at a 6" petrol machine mounted on ATV tyres to tow behind a quad? We do a petrol A530 with a Honda engine that the factory would adapt to take quad wheels, not a driven unit but cheaper if you already have a quad, may be able to adapt to caravan drive as earlier discussions. There has also been a 6" chipper mounted onto a hydrostat chassis for american vine growers which may be of interest, I will post a picture asap.