Dodgy 300tdi temp sender

deezyboy

The temperature gauge on my 300tdi started off with being tempermental, and then jus stoppe working altogether, I pulled the wire off from the sensor, earthed it and the gauge in the truck worked fine, so I've replaced the sensor but now after a mile or two the gauge in the truck rockets right up to way past the red, even though the engine seems fine, I'd rather it didn't work at all then tell lies and make me anxious the whole time that I'm driving it!

Have ample coolant level as well.

Where do I go now, replace the actual gauge in the truck?

Cheers

The temperature gauge on my 300tdi started off with being tempermental, and then jus stoppe working altogether, I pulled the wire off from the sensor, earthed it and the gauge in the truck worked fine, so I've replaced the sensor but now after a mile or two the gauge in the truck rockets right up to way past the red, even though the engine seems fine, I'd rather it didn't work at all then tell lies and make me anxious the whole time that I'm driving it!

Have ample coolant level as well.

Where do I go now, replace the actual gauge in the truck?

Cheers

Hi mate watch the heat on a 300tdi as the head will go mate keep a eye on it thanks Jon

O.K Ben.There are different gauges and different sensors - You have to make sure that the 2 are compatable.

I've had a look on Brookwell's.

There are 2 sensors for the 300 TDi - one with green plastic and one with black plastic.

Which did you have and which did you buy ?:confused1:

I think it was black which I took out, picked up a green one from timbertrail, I heard the different colour is for a disco or defender engine, but as it is a disco engine in a defender I wasn't too sure, should I switch it?

Problem solved.:biggrin:

They're only £4 so a lot cheaper and easier to change sensor than gauge.

When the discovery engine was fitted , they should have changed the discovery sensor, to match the defender gauge in your truck.:thumbup1:

Ahh brilliant, cheers!

I rarely post on arbtalk for fear of being on the recieving end of peoples 'constructive' opinions, but when I do I'm always suprised by the amout of effort that people will go to to help others!