What is spaulted beech worth ?

gensetsteve

40 tons???

Either mill it your self or log it!

Years ago, I asked the same question on another forum and a very smart bloke (he used to be called Thors Hammer:sneaky2:) told me the larger mills, if you can get any interest, will want it for beer money, and the shed down the garden type turners will pick over your heap, choose the best log then ask you to deliver it for a fiver.

Over the years i have learned how wise he was.

Listen to those who have been there:001_tt1:

i had a big old bit of spalted beech, dead as a dodo, it was about 5 feet at the base running to 2.5feet about 40 foot long. sliced it and diced it, cut the rings about 5 inches and did most of it with a splitting mall, beautiful firewood and a doddle to split. when a dumpy bag fetches easy 60 quid a bag it is the most profitable way i think

40 tons???

Years ago, I asked the same question on another forum and a very smart bloke (he used to be called Thors Hammer:sneaky2:) told me the larger mills, if you can get any interest, will want it for beer money, and the shed down the garden type turners will pick over your heap, choose the best log then ask you to deliver it for a fiver.

It's great for woodturners and spaulted beech is lovely looking timber but it's not popular for a lot of people as beech has poor decay characteristics and so you're more limited in it's use.

And as above wood turners spend 8 hours making something they may sell for £25-00 and so they do not have any money to spend... No offence to any woodturners here but I have had so many call interested in timber and of that 10% will actually come and buy some!!

But all that said I'm also in Hants so how much do you want for it? We could do a deal i.e. I'll come up with the Peterson mill and chew through the logs and all the off cuts could be turned to firewood (about 40%) + I give you some cash/and or milled timber. PM me or call 07811611457 and let me know how you're thinking!

59765476123ee_spaultedbeech003.jpg.207c697e7a563c8c1ed1532bfc7edc1f.jpg

597654760f565_spaultedbeech002.jpg.c0e448b58edd94cd149d75b5455c0179.jpg

597654760d1da_spaultedbeech001.jpg.5deffdeddafac065c07eb45c3213a3a7.jpg

40 tons???

I was afraid someone was going to say that. Last year I had some stainless steel units weigh 200kg worth £200 all loaded ready to weigh in. someone rings up, dont weigh in they are worth more to me than scrap I will be back from holiday in two weeks. He shows up and offers twenty quid the lot:angry:

Ok, why not take Rob up on his offer, get him down mill the good stuff, firewood the rest.

Milled its worth more and buyers are easier to find.

Im sure you can come to a nice arrangement between you:sneaky2:

I really wouldnt go chasing mills to sell as is, if they ring you, thats a different matter but doesnt happen often.