End of Defenders?

chopperpete

Just seen article on Country life program saying that they will stop making Land Rover Defenders this year (Solihull factory) also heard 2nd hand dealers are buying up good stock to sell at a profit after this happens...I can see a market opening up where Companies start making 'new' defenders from available parts...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/features/iconic-land-rover-defender-to-be-discontinued-9981460.html

Edited by chopperpete

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just seen article on Country life program saying that they will stop making Land Rover Defenders this year (Solihull factory) also heard 2nd hand dealers are buying up good stock to sell at a profit after this happens...I can see a market opening up where Companies start making 'new' defenders from available parts...

There must be a link back to the "europe - in or out" thread here....

The Defender - classic, unsurpassed in it's class, iconic and a piece of what made Britain great.

Production must cease because it no longer meets EU regs......

Yes, LR stops production in the UK in Dec this year, they will continue to be built for the non European market,

I have just got myself a 2006 ROŴ(rest of world) spec factory built 300tdi 110 that is on a 2008 plate from foley overland,

Foley overland have a selection of the very last 300tdi defenders,

The 300tdi stopped production for theUK market in 1999 but carried on being built for non EU market.

Prices are going up.

Iconic Land Rover Defender to be discontinued - Features - Motoring - The Independent

Where the heck you been for the last two years???? Apparently 31 Dec this year production line stops, and rumour is 1 Jan 2016 Tata start dismantling the plant to recommence producing 110s in India.

Therefore the prices of second hand ones are going up and dealers are blinging them up to the nines and just charging ridiculous money - Nene Overlands latest 110 double cab is £118k - from the list of extras fitted there must be a huuuuge profit margin in that but as they have stated they have no idea what mpg the 5 litre V8 does as their clients are so loaded they dont care, they can probably get away with it. I saw some of these tarted up Defenders at Billing last year and I wouldnt thank you for one. The leather dashboard just looked quite comical - like a leatherette cover had been put over the dash.

Yes, LR stops production in the UK in Dec this year, they will continue to be built for the non European market,

I have just got myself a 2006 ROŴ(rest of world) spec factory built 300tdi 110 that is on a 2008 plate from foley overland,

Foley overland have a selection of the very last 300tdi defenders,

The 300tdi stopped production for theUK market in 1999 but carried on being built for non EU market.

Prices are going up.

The nice thing is , or my hope, if one day we do leave EU, LR build could return to the UK. :thumbup1: i HATE THE EU

Thats the only reason why one of our greatest British inventions is going out of production, :thumbdown:

I think we love them because they are British, not because they are great, if we are honest they are not great, generally people love them or hate them, they have many faults and many likeable characteristics too!

I think we love them because they are British, not because they are great, if we are honest they are not great, generally people love them or hate them, they have many faults and many likeable characteristics too!

Love them or hate them, ...... apart from unimog, what else will do what they can do, at that price band and also they must be right up on top of UK best of British things sold around the world, not so much Defender, but the Landrover brand.

Love them or hate them, ...... apart from unimog, what else will do what they can do, at that price band and also they must be right up on top of UK best of British things sold around the world, not so much Defender, but the Landrover brand.

Land rovers are not cheap, that's because of fanatics I think.

I've had two landys, 90 and 110 hi cap, liked them both, spent endless time and money working on them, chassis disappears before your eyes, rain pours in, uncomfortable on any journey longer than 1.5 miles, got a Jap 4x4 now.