Can this tree be helped

mickdundee

Likely to last for yonks.Looks like good extension growth which points to some vigour. I would remove the dead bark to see sound tissue so you can easily observe how the wound progresses. Shape the wound with a sharp knife to help the flow of water and nutrients up and down the tree.i,e no jagged edges.

I would hold off the thinning; if that is done it reduces the trees capacity to get over the wound and adds more.

its a cherry plum - the foliage looks healthy but its probably being fed from energy reserves - for the species type I would say not looking good to be honest and no sign of reactive wood as yet - trim away the dead bark as said and see what its like next year - I always like to give a tree a chance

Do you suspect that was the start of the trees demise. To my untrained eye there's no sign of the tree trying to heal that cut. I never asked how long ago it was done

Mick, I've never seen clearer evidence. Your eye is well trained. The tree lost all the resource-gathering power that branch once delivered, so no surprise it cannot seal the damage.

This is why BS3998, like the German ZTV, recommends against any cut >10 cm. The US is slow to adopt that proven guideline, as it might get in the way of production, and challenges the myth that collar cut = proper pruning. :confused1:

Graft cuttings from the crown onto the stem below the mechanical damage. If they take reduce the tree to below the sever wound and start again.

:thumbup:

That sounds like it might be beyond my expertise but I'll mention it to him as an option if he got a pro in

The US is slow to adopt that proven guideline, as it might get in the way of production, and challenges the myth that collar cut = proper pruning. :confused1:

WHAT!!!

Alex Shigo must be turning in his grave. It must be very frustrating for you in the US bud"

Yes the standards process is corporate-driven so change is mightily resisted. :thumbdown:

Meanwhile Shigo's name is dragged through the mud; collar cuts are worshipped as "Shigo Cuts", though Dr. S. championed 'nodal pruning' as he recognised that most forks have no collar.