When The Wife

Stefan Palokangas

I only went self employed in 2011, I really undervalued my time at first too. Within 6 months my day rate (for surveys, reports etc) went from £180 plus travel/map costs etc to £275. Fast forward to now and I aim for 360 plus any extras like os maps or travel if it's more than 45ish mins away. I don't always quite get that, giving leeway for bigger jobs or those tricky ones that overrun a bit. I've lost a couple of my earlier clients due to the increase, but most have said they thought I was cheap and used me again anyway. As you go on you realise that what seems ok at first on paper just doesn't cover the real costs of working! On top of the obvious tools, insurance, advertising, tax, vehicles etc. there's days off, unexpected repairs, holiday pay, quiet times, reinvestment, pension, book keeping, quoting, research, the list goes on and on!

sounds like your slowly piecing it all together:thumbup1:

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two hours on site takes up half a day in reality, so half a day man and a machine like yours (20k's worth?) needs to be closer to £300 imo. Works out at £75/hour. Take off depreciation, running costs of machine and vehicle/ trailer and your wage...... Don't leave a massive amount!

Forgot to mention insurance.

When I say to my good lady I am just popping down the road for an hour in reality I have travel time, extra's and finishing up etc it all adds up you know.

Hi Tony

I've just been searching for powdered turquoise to do a few inlays but I'm struggling to find any.

Have you got a link to where you get yours?

Its a difficult thing to find isnt it! took us a fair while too.

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fitm%2FB-Natural-Turquoise-Crystal-GemStone-Rock-Specimen-Grinding-Sand-Powder-Healing-%2F321300111045%3Fpt%3DLH_DefaultDomain_3%26hash%3Ditem4acefa9ec5&h=nAQHMk0xC

Thanks Tony, I must be going senile, I thought I'd sent that question via pm rather than on the open forum.

Sorry for the derail folks.

welcome to the "senior moments club" lmao:lol:

My memory gets better as I get older, it's so good I now remember things that never happened and if you can't find the butter try looking in the microwave :lol:

I

Yep, when you put it like that Eggs it makes you think.....

If you think much lower you'll soon be out of business!

I mugged myself off when I first started, didn't do no good::001_rolleyes: it worked out in the end mind.

I see it on here 'subbys' working for £120/day supplying all their own gear and truck........ It won't last long!

Now I work on the grounds of, if you want my services you are going to pay for them, if not I'll kick about at home doing as I please.:biggrin:

Edited by eggsarascal

Two hours on site takes up half a day in reality, so half a day man and a machine like yours (20k's worth?) needs to be closer to £300 imo. Works out at £75/hour. Take off depreciation, running costs of machine and vehicle/ trailer and your wage...... Don't leave a massive amount!

Forgot to mention insurance.

Hi EGGS there's loads of chaps here with NEW FULL SIZE JCB £36hr must be mad thanks Jon

I

If you think much lower you'll soon be out of business!

I mugged myself off when I first started, didn't do no good::001_rolleyes: it worked out in the end mind.

I see it on here 'subbys' working for £120/day supplying all their own gear and truck........ It won't last long!

Now I work on the grounds of, if you want my services you are going to pay for them, if not I'll kick about at home doing as I please.:biggrin:

Hi EGGS GO OFF IN MORNING GET A NEW IPAD MATE your some times better off at home thanks Jon