What's wrong with my Ash tree?

deforest

Question

DSCF6052.jpg.643b2c4541af9c0bc751520d88935fb1.jpg

DSCF6050.jpg.e3ed88856d2527549c20b75b8607082a.jpg

DSCF6048.jpg.566cca3255240b0d09c6adf487a9a290.jpg

DSCF6049.jpg.02521e8e1a3d7e3d034acb8ba3852104.jpg

DSCF6053.jpg.a4d7256712fca5b758536ec84e5b0d86.jpg33[/ATTA5CH]

We have had an Ash tree for several years. Last spring it produced buds on the entire tree but only leafed out on about half of one side of the tree. This spring it budded out on the entire tree again but only about 1/3 of a side of the tree leafed out. The leaves that did come out appear to be healthy. We live in Minnesota where there is a high prevalance of Emerald Ash Borer but it shows no signs of this that we can see. It was treated last spring and this spring with Bayor imidacloprid according to package directions. Any ideas what could be wrong with it?

8 answers to this question

Your lawn looks immaculate. Might be the herbicide, 'Weed n Feed' etc you use. Pretty common for landscapers, lawn guys etc to get tunnel vision when reading the warning label on that stuff.

If you are serious about retaining the tree, I would encourage you to get a local ISA Certified Arborist to take a look - pretty hard to tell from photos

I'm a little confused by what you say about the buds?

Normally the buds are formed as the old leaves are shed, they then swell in the spring before opening.

It seems very strange for it to from buds twice over the 2 years and them never open?

Could the buds you see be the same dead buds remming for 2 years?

Very difficult to give an accurate diagnosis with things like this, as there are a lot of factors that would naturally differ between the U.K and U.S.

As has been mentioned already, your best bet would be contact a local ISA Certified Arborist, and get the tree properly assessed up close and personal.

I agree with above, hard to accurately diagnose over the Internet; however we can discuss possibilities?

I'd imagine an insect would attack buds so that could be the answer;

But I also notice a utility marker and if the tree had its root plate damaged over the last 5-8 years; that might only be playing out?