First chain saw bar size ?

salop sniper

Folks I am just about to buy my first chainsaw after using a few others.

What am set to buy is a second hand off a mate Stihl 023 with a 14" bar.

But am wondering if a 12" bar would be better starting out, Any thoughts?

Am only doing ground work around the shoot I am on and its just clearing wind fallen trees/branches in the woods and also cutting small stuff ranging from 2" thick to 8" thick amd cutting points on some of it to use for improvised posts !

the saw seems to be at the right price £80 and its not going to get loads of work maybe used 5-6 days a year for 20-30 cuts a time absolute max.

Cheers for your advice and guidence in advance.

ATB

Matt

As saws go its a bit of a plastic fantastic but it will do your job

The amount of work you cite is unrealistic, you will use it more especially in the giddy beginning

Get some PPE and some training while you can. Learn to sharpen before anything else.

As saws go its a bit of a plastic fantastic but it will do your job

The amount of work you cite is unrealistic, you will use it more especially in the giddy beginning

Get some PPE and some training while you can. Learn to sharpen before anything else.

Cheers, I already have trousers boots and helmet as I wear these when strimming and brush cutting. Also a good first aid kit and 13 years of crewing ambulances to know what to do.

I have used a few saws a few times but never had my own, nor had much need until now. I also have the benefit of a mate who`s a tree surgeon by trade who is going to join me a few times to make sure am not into any bad habits and give me some guidance.

growforest - The manual approach is one I am using currently, but its hard and slow work. We have a time restraint and so its good to be able make things easier and quicker so we can get more done in the day and conserve energy for post knocking etc. Why struggle when you don't need too?

Other members of the group have been doing the work with chainsaws for the last 10 years as its the most suitable and appropriate way. They how ever don't use any PPE and have had no training and have no FA kit, so at least I am better prepared than them.

Regards

Matt

Or get a decent Silky pruning saw / Bahco bowsaw and an old billhook/axe. No need for fuel, PPE, oils, spark plugs, spares etc.:thumbup1:

Hi

+1 from me, just about striped a large pine with a silky, only used my saw when it came to blocking down apart from a couple of larger branches.

I have a nice Billhook & its amazing what it can cut

Personally, Id try & spend a bit more of something bit less palsticy Echo 360 or Dolmar 421 looks quite nice to me.

Good luck anyway

N

My first stihl chainsaw (after about 6 piles of absolute crap) was a an ms210 with a 14in bar for £60 and it's a little beauty to this day!! Always handy to have around on any tree job and just as handy for doing hedges if bits are to big for the trimmers! Great round a chipper, handy on a fencing job, and it's also done it's fair share of felling small firewood trees! End of the day some jobs don't require a big saw and when you can pick these saws up for £80 like this then why not??? It's your first saw and there's no point going any bigger to you feel comfortable with that!! The biggest saw I've ever used was an ms440 in Sweden and man that thing was a beast!!! As someone who's used small chainsaws since I was 15 it was an experience just holding that animal and reving it made me instantly realise the ms210 was a mere child's toy in the cold light of reality BUT a toy that could cause major damage if used incorrectly!!! Start small, see if chainsaw work suits you and then look for something that suits you better and keep the smaller saw for smaller jobs! End of the day it works, it's got stihl on it and it's £80......no brainer :thumbup: