Vermeer SC30TX grinder

David Cropper

Done some googling, from what I can see the 252 has a belt driven system the sc30 hydraulic drive, and therein lies the rub. Power is lost with hydraulics so that's why it's so gutless at the stump.

Ahh right didnt see it was hydraulic driven hmmmmmm

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 252 and had a demo of the sc30 when it first came out and the 252 is much more productive. My 252 had to finish off the demo I could not wait any longer and due to fixed safety bar at front it could not get close to the boundary fence line It's a nice machine but out classed by all the competition and its smaller and cheaper brother the 252.

I have a diamond disc which I used on the multi tip teeth, bit of a job to do but I found that if the teeth weren't too bad then I got a decent edge to them. I have never used the yellow jacket teeth before so can't really compare them.

I thought about the 252 but they all had a few hours on the ones I saw for sale and I was a bit windy of buying an unknown machine. My Predator 450 was brand new and took a hammering in the 2 and a half years I had it, I think you take a chance if you don't know the history of the machine. The Vermeer I bought was at a local salesroom bought to use as a hire machine, but as I have said before, the local French won't pay to grind out stumps, so it sat there for 12 months not being used. I knew what I was buying in this case. It looks a nice bit of kit but will lit do the business is all I care about. I have had another 7 jobs come in since I got it so it has to do a good job.

Mr Cropper, There is no such thing as a dry site, just your lack of admin.

The machine looks and sounds sweet, and will make your body ache less, increase your working life and your gut.

Once you get used to it you will be as productive I'm sure.

Hi Mick, depends which info you look at. Some say 25, which I thought at first it was, but now looking at the paperwork with the machine I find it's the 27hp. Apparently the 25 has a few problems, one of which is the head gasket blowing. When I had it repaired the mechanic looked on the internet for info and found the gasket problem. It blew in the "usual" spot. The 27 is the better version I believe.

Shep, you should have told me the miserable sod's didn't do a brew. Don't forget one is enough for me, not like you and your old man ,one every 30 minutes. Glad you liked the grinder today. That customer who wasn't in today when I went down, rang up so I go back Saturday but he has agreed to the same price as before but only for half the work.

I am informed by Bandit France that a hydro head consumes 10% of the available power but is more reliable than belts and extra bearings they require never mind the grease they consume.

TBH, somedays our 33hp 4012 feels underpowered on really soft fibrous grey pops, large fir, spruce and pine.

I've changed the 8 outermost teeth to ones with a longer stem which has dramatically improved performance.

I'm finding almost every French client accepts the stump option on my quotes.

Ty

I had the 25 Kohler command on my old Rayco, never missed a beat in 12 years.

I going to say what you may suspect/dread, it's not big enough for that machine (with the hydrostatic head) Which may explain why it only did 15 hrs in a year.

It's a shame because getting a new machine should be a happy day, maybe think about moving it on if it continues to disappoint.

Edit, and yes Stu, once explained to the middle class French grinding can earn nicely over here.