Employee Injury outside of work

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a round of applause. (Coz they couldn't think of an argument themselves)

If it's a case of ONLY £88/week why aren't employers paying an extra £20/day on day rates?

Hi EGGS £20 remember what we roundabout at the pub one night 20 quid on top of dear oh dear tight as a 🐔🐔🐔🐔thanks EGGS Jon 👍

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it's a learning curve for me to find the best way to be prepared for this kind of thing. It's difficult as a small Buisness. On one hand you gotta take first class care of your blokes. The other side is Iam not getting as many jobs done so the money isn't coming in.

Maybe encouraging everyone to have personal accident insurance and have a long list of capable subbies to step in quick so at least you don't loose the income would be the best plan. Anyone got any other ideas?

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you a round of applause. (Coz they couldn't think of an argument themselves)

If it's a case of ONLY £88/week why aren't employers paying an extra £20/day on day rates?

if an employee is worth their money, works hard for their wage, and is reliable and loyal to their company, paying SSP shouldn't be the end of the world to an employer that values their staff.

Sure, it's inconvenient, but let's remember that the injured employee would rather be at work. Not sitting at home with his leg up.

As has been said (because I couldn't think of my own argument), I'd question my loyalty to an employer that wasn't prepared to pay a minimum to help me get back to work.

if an employee is worth their money, works hard for their wage, and is reliable and loyal to their company, paying SSP shouldn't be the end of the world to an employer that values their staff.

Sure, it's inconvenient, but let's remember that the injured employee would rather be at work. Not sitting at home with his leg up.

As has been said (because I couldn't think of my own argument), I'd question my loyalty to an employer that wasn't prepared to pay a minimum to help me get back to work.

You sound like a good employee Joe, I wish there were more like that out there.:)

1Both times we have had to pay ssp as something done out of the workplace. I don't mind we do it but my argument is that for a small business trying to carry on when 1 man down if your a 2 or 3 man band and paying ssp on top of trying to keep going is very hard . In the forestry game we very often get paid as contractors on a cutting rate or how much we can do in a amount of time and to have someone off 6 plus weeks and having to pay them is a hardship for small businesses. then they may want their full holidays as well. Where does all the money come from....

Edited by Joy Yeomans

Thing that annoys me is lads playing rugby and not coming in Monday because they have broken stuff , when they are self employed they have to come in and slow every one down... Just a thought but I would not pay some one on full pay for what I can best describe as self inflicted injuries although I would and have helped them out I just think it's irresponsible to partake in such things if your work and a team relied on you ... Rant over :)

A thought provoking topic.

Whilst on the one hand, I can see how (if you take that stance) paying out (regardless of the amount) and getting nothing in return (if you take that stance) is a fairly bitter pill. If anyone can't see that, try adding £80 per week to your spending whilst expecting nothing extra in return.

Conversely, it'll be tough on the injured party who has a drop in income.

If it's a "valued, respected, hard working, innovative and loyal" team member perhaps it would be easier to bear because it might be seen as an investment in the future, but what about if that's not the case?

What about the way the injury was incurred? Is rugby OK but drunken train surfing not so good? Seems to be no distinction.

At what point does the individual take responsibility for their actions? I can't help but feel current society trends towards it always being someone else's fault / responsibility / liability.

Just waffle I guess since them's the rules!

Personally I feel it would be fairer for small businesses if SSP came out of HMRC budget and we all paid a little more in NI contributions to cover it.

For a 2 or 3 man business, having one person off is 50 or 33% of the workforce, which would never happen with 100+ employees. Having one or even ten employees off on sick out of 100 is much easier to sustain.

However the rules say differently, so it's a foolish employer who doesn't budget for the possibility of an employee off on long term sick pay. I can't imagine any decent employees want to be off on £88 a week, so it should be in everyone's interest to get back to work as quickly as possible.

This is one of the additional costs that you have to take into account with PAYE staff and why wages have to be so much lower then self-employed day rates. Unfortunately some employees don't realise this..

The other issue is that many employers don't realise that their "subbies" should actually be classed as employees and could be liable to pay sick. I can imagine the scenario of an employer happily paying a higher rate to some one thinking they are a subby. They injure themselves and take their employer to a tribunal to be awarded sick pay, holiday pay, redundancy pay and the employer would also have to pay NI contributions etc..

Take care as an employer as this could easily cripple a small business IMO..