Danarm 55 Pulley unit

Flash

e46a86672

I'm trying to start a Danarm 55 Chainsaw.

The chord pulley mechanism looks sealed to me, the chord appears to be caught up inside the unit as the handle is stopped right up to the butt and there is no play whatsoever.

I have been advise this unit is not sealed, am I as stupid as I feel? been scratching my head for days trying to work out how to get to the innards in the hope I can free up the pulley chord. It looks very sealed to me ;)

Flash

http://www.flashspix.co.uk/p482800969/e46a86672

Edited by Flash
explanatory image isnt showing

e46a86672

I'm trying to start a Danarm 55 Chainsaw.

The chord pulley mechanism looks sealed to me, the chord appears to be caught up inside the unit as the handle is stopped right up to the butt and there is no play whatsoever.

I have been advise this unit is not sealed, am I as stupid as I feel? been scratching my head for days trying to work out how to get to the innards in the hope I can free up the pulley chord. It looks very sealed to me ;)

Flash

Flashspix | Products | untitled (1 of 6)

there appers to be some sort of clip holding the plate in ,try removing that ,

Don't bother, mound some wood up in the garden, set fire to it, when the flames are nice and high throw the 55 on, then fan the flames until the whole sorry machine has gone, will save you plenty of heart ache in the future, the worst machine to come out of the Stroud factory.

Yep I am a dullard....... fact!

And I should be allowed nowhere near Danarm 55s or any other scarey looking chainsaws

and leave it to the pro's.

Freed up the pulley and as the circlip popped out easily, I remembered by Dad's encouraging words from my childhood "you'll never be technical son".

Thanks Johnny and Treequip, Gollum I'll keep you posted, next task is to fire it up without separating my head and torso ;)

ADW wondered if you can share some "55" horror stories tho, what makes it such a bad chainsaw, and maybe which chainsaw from that era is the "proper chopper"?

Goodo,.... Out

Edited by Flash
ADW made me laugh

I managed to free up the pulley last night.

I took the plunge and attempted to start the chainsaw, but it didn't fire up.

The saw looks in excellent condition but due to my lack of knowledge or engineering prowess I have decided to sell it for spares on ebay.

There was some interest shown on here so, hoping one of the Danarm enthusiasts on here would want a heads up, that the saw is now for sale on Ebay.

:thumbup:

Danarm 55 Vintage Chainsaw | eBay

Warm Regards

Paul