Britains' Greatest Generation - Let's get this guy his medal!

Torpedoed WWII Merchant Ship Survivor on TV tonight; never got his medal/s because his pay book went down with his ship!

BBC iPlayer - Britain's Greatest Generation - 2. Their Finest Hour

"Like" the facebook page please :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/365503276988005/?fref=ts

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thanks.

I go along to the Russian Embassy gig every year where they honour the Arctic convoy veterans, the Russians make no bones about the debt they're due and get the veterans up front for speeches, toasts and sustained applause. I'll see if can find some pics of the veterans.

On a side note the Russian national anthem is pretty good and they certainly belt it out

Sadly the British Merchant Navy was generally treated shabbily during WW II.

The Losses on the Murmansk run were horrendus as were those on the Atlantic convoys. If you research it you'll find tales of incredible bravery and selflessness but also tales of horrors you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Tankers were their worst nightmare and has been quoted "I prefer ammo ships meself.......boom !....you'll know nothing about it."

If your ship was sunk...your pay stopped. I think that was changed towards the end of the war.

William Doxfords at the Pallion works on the Tyne and the yards in Greenock and Belfast could not produce new tonnage at the rate they were being sunk, hence in the later years "Liberty Ships" from the states....first vessels to be modular built (eg built in sections at different yards and final assembled in drydock).

Overall the whole series of affairs was not a good reflection on the ship owners or indeed the government of the time.

IMHO opinion British Seafarer's were (are) the finest in the world. They have never received full recognition for WW II actions and I doubt they ever will.

Sadly the British Merchant Navy was generally treated shabbily during WW II.

The Losses on the Murmansk run were horrendus as were those on the Atlantic convoys. If you research it you'll find tales of incredible bravery and selflessness but also tales of horrors you wouldn't wish on your worst enemy.

Tankers were their worst nightmare and has been quoted "I prefer ammo ships meself.......boom !....you'll know nothing about it."

If your ship was sunk...your pay stopped. I think that was changed towards the end of the war.

William Doxfords at the Pallion works on the Tyne and the yards in Greenock and Belfast could not produce new tonnage at the rate they were being sunk, hence in the later years "Liberty Ships" from the states....first vessels to be modular built (eg built in sections at different yards and final assembled in drydock).

Overall the whole series of affairs was not a good reflection on the ship owners or indeed the government of the time.

IMHO opinion British Seafarer's were (are) the finest in the world. They have never received full recognition for WW II actions and I doubt they ever will.

Good post .

Good post .

Thanks Stubby.....I've sailed with some of those who were on these convoys in their younger days (when I was in my younger days :blushing:) though most of them have now "crossed the bar". If I've never achieved much in life at the very least I can say I've bought and shared a beer with some very quiet, brave men, both engineroom and deckside.......:001_smile:

Edited by roboted
punctuation

Only place I know where WW2 British Seaman are treated with respect is Malta. Was taking Father in Law back to Malta but unfortunately he died 1 month prior to going. Anyway we still went and was looking in the Quayside museum when we noticed the ships bell off the vessel my father in law was serving on. Local lady overheard the conversation and the next minute we where mobbed by an eager crowd of elderly men and women being so grateful to those brave sailors.

Only place I know where WW2 British Seaman are treated with respect is Malta. Was taking Father in Law back to Malta but unfortunately he died 1 month prior to going. Anyway we still went and was looking in the Quayside museum when we noticed the ships bell off the vessel my father in law was serving on. Local lady overheard the conversation and the next minute we where mobbed by an eager crowd of elderly men and women being so grateful to those brave sailors.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

If I may ask.. Which vessel did he sail on ?

The "Ohio" an American flagged British crewed tanker...should have sunk twice but was brought into port saddled by two RN vessels..quite an amazing story....Operation Pedestal...I believe the "Old Man" of the Ohio was awarded the George Cross (?)

Is any one aware of Merchant Navy Day ? The MN memorial at Tower Hill? the fact that after years of discussion with local councils that they're finally allowed to fly the "Red Duster" permanently ?

I'm afraid my previous coments about recognition still stand .