Massively undercut on job! But why?

Mr_D

Just been massively undercut on a job I quoted, I know it's life and you win some and loose some blah blah blah but I don't know how they have gone in so cheap.

It was a garden clearance job, mainly shrubs and small trees...iv been doing this a wile and know there's two days on it, it's a drag through a conservatory and garage so access was rubbish.

Now I could be really out on my pricing but for me I charge 320 a day for two blokes, so out 640 on the job hoping to get it done in under two days. I was also told at the start of the quote someone else would be quoting so bared that in mind and gave myself a max of 500 to price match which again i thought was fair.

£200! That's what they are getting it done for?! Now I think you could get it done in a day if you throw 3 blokes at it but even then 3 blokes for a day £200!

It's a bit of a rant this, and I have Newley set up on my own, but if that's what you up against how are you suppose to make a living

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been massively undercut on a job I quoted, I know it's life and you win some and loose some blah blah blah but I don't know how they have gone in so cheap.

It was a garden clearance job, mainly shrubs and small trees...iv been doing this a wile and know there's two days on it, it's a drag through a conservatory and garage so access was rubbish.

Now I could be really out on my pricing but for me I charge 320 a day for two blokes, so out 640 on the job hoping to get it done in under two days. I was also told at the start of the quote someone else would be quoting so bared that in mind and gave myself a max of 500 to price match which again i thought was fair.

£200! That's what they are getting it done for?! Now I think you could get it done in a day if you throw 3 blokes at it but even then 3 blokes for a day £200!

It's a bit of a rant this, and I have Newly set up on my own, but if that's what you up against how are you suppose to make a living

Probably some Polish fellas who will come in, pull up all the shrubs, burn them and then demand £200. Sounds like a really silly quote and very well possibly not a "like for like" one.

The owner will probably regret it:thumbdown: Don't worry about it, move on......

It's a bit of a rant this, and I have Newley set up on my own, but if that's what you up against how are you suppose to make a living

Hi mate do worry mate that's just mad mate £200 thanks Jon

I no it's hard when you first start up.

Get use to it I come across it all the time there not running a business like me and you it's just beer tokens to them.

I never aim to be the cheapest always in the middle if the client has anything about them they will go for the mid price not the cheapest. I've been also told by clients that they would of used us even if we had been the most expensive as they liked our attitude so it doesn't all ways come down to money. :001_smile:

Hi mate as been said £320 for 2 chaps is cheap fare to cheap thanks Jon

Cheers lads, it's nice to know I'm not under selling myself, it's just frustrating the diary is empty at the min and could of done with the job, but to see I have been beaten like that....well I hope something goes wrong and they ask me to correct it

Cheers lads, it's nice to know I'm not under selling myself, it's just frustrating the diary is empty at the min and could of done with the job, but to see I have been beaten like that....well I hope something goes wrong and they ask me to correct it

Get a web site best thing I've ever done

First of all. Is it genuine??

Secondly, anyone working for that isn't going to be around for long.

We come up against this sort of thing from time to time.

When I quote jobs, I always warn people about going "cheap" it can end up being a lot more expensive in the long run. You hear some right horror stories......

If the price is too good to be true it's usually because it is.