First aid contents

TheHungrySquirrel

For me:

In pocket: Israeli field dressing and celox gauze.

In first aid kit (kept with fuel cans): celox gauze, CAT tourniquet, a few eyewash pods, big bandages, assortment of plasters, steristrip, safety scissors, heat blanket.

Alongside a 'big box' first aid kit kept in vehicle.

For me:

In first aid kit (kept with fuel cans): celox gauze, CAT tourniquet, a few eyewash pods, big bandages, assortment of plasters,

In my jobbing box alongside spare chains and such I carry similar. This box goes with me whenever I'm using the saw/axe as it has petrol, oil, gloves etc. in as well.

As always the best thing in time of need is what you have on hand, no good it being somewhere else!

I carry a day to day kit in the glove box of plasters, steri strips, eye wash (small bottles), tweezers, tape, gauze and tcp and other bits and pieces. We then carry a cat and an Israeli each and on the chipper is the "trauma bag" containing Israeli bandagesx4, CATs x4, celox gauzex3, 2x.5 litre eye wash bottles plus bandages/gauze etc. Probably too much but butter that than hunting for the one cat which has got lodged under something. Certainly makes me feel more comfortable than not having it.

Big dressing, pneumothorax dressing, eyewash, (good for cleaning wounds), neck brace, tourniquet and some good training. (your bare hands and ripped t-shirt can usually do the rest)

Sort of depends what you're prepared to deal with and what is likely to happen to a body after a fall from height of close contact with a chainsaw.

A few years back the guys held an RTA victim together with sweatshirts. She called up a few days later to ask if they wanted their shirts back after she'd been stitched back together in hospital. From memory they declined.

Celox and CAT's are great for the kind of injuries that may come about in this line of work. The haemostatic gauze is apparently better than the powder, probably both for application and clean up at hospital. CAT's have saved many lives around the world, but they must be applied correctly to be of any use. Direct and indirect pressure is very handy at stopping major bleeds too. Chest seals are handy should the chest cavity be punctured, although anything clean to seal the hole and taped securely will assist with preventing the ingress of air. I always carry an Israeli dressing amongst other bits and pieces as above. The point of first aid is to keep the casualty alive until professional help arrives, and so very often its best to keep it simple. Stop the catastrophic bleeds first and then take care of airways and breathing afterwards. i think regular training is essential, as this skill can diminish very quickly.