Modifiying my log splitter advice appreciated

gensetsteve

Bought this new on ebay about 2 years ago for £800 only problem is its 3 ph and needs a 20kva genset to run it.

Have tried tractor hyd but too slow

So thought take pump off motor and mount on 11hp honda engine

The trailer is a written off genset trailer and will only go round site.

Will probably cut another foot off back of trailer and mount splitter nearer axle

With hyd power pump at front and 3 ph motor gone it should balance well.

Have a hyd hand pump and a ram to lift splitter clear of ground.

Have I missed anythg anyone got any ideas before it gets attacked with gas axe again

if the tractor hydraulics are too slow, why not just put the pump on the pto? an adaptor would be easy to come by I would imagine.

That would work if the 3ph motor was a 1400rpm but not if its a 2800

Honda engines run at 3000rpm max so if the hydraulic pump is on a 1400 motor you would either have to run the engine at half revs on a direct drive or use a 2:1 pulley then the engine could run at 2800 and the pump would be running at 1400

That would work if the 3ph motor was a 1400rpm but not if its a 2800

Honda engines run at 3000rpm max so if the hydraulic pump is on a 1400 motor you would either have to run the engine at half revs on a direct drive or use a 2:1 pulley then the engine could run at 2800 and the pump would be running at 1400

I am going to have a go at 1400 rpm. I have the engine, and pump coupling cost me £123. Apparently max pressure at 1400 rpm but pump can run to 4000 rpm. More flow less pressure may be better for my beech.

I never thought of a pto pump but my smallest tractor is 80hp .I figure mot failed 4x4 jeeps are cheap compared with compact tractors to drag it about. Not sure of cost of 11hp petrol compared to 80hp diesel ticking over.

Honda will be cheaper on wear and tear and free up the tractor for heavier work.

Can the splitter just tilt forward over the trailer when not in use? No need for a ram to lift it if you can just build it on a pivot and fold it down.

I have it pivoting on the three point linkage at the moment but it weighs 300kg and cant move it without winch. I am goint to try and leave the splitter as standard in case we convert back in the future.