Cupboard prices

scraggs

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We all have our own tastes , but if its just the light colour, you want high grade Canadian rock maples good , has a great lustre as well!

If you really want painted doors, ppppwwwaahhh , I wouldn't bother getting it made by a cabinet maker. The ones I used to work for would charge a few grand for a wardrobe...I learnt a a little bit from David Savage, Hes does some fine pieces, He would do you a good one, but would probably want £30.000...minimum.

Perhaps you know much cheaper cabinet makers? Either way good luck!

You trained with David?

I know this is a bit of a odd question for the cabinet makers on here, and I understand price will vary hugely on spec but I have been looking to buy 2 bedroom cupboards and am not really impressed by the mass produced crap out there that you could blow over, and it's that time in life where I can have better quality. So I wondered what sort of money would I be looking at very roughly for 2 wardrobes 1.8m high and 1.1m wide with two doors, ideally cream painted oak, or whatever you would suggest best, built by a proper cabinet maker.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Think you would be looking at £2000 minimum. Made a large wardrobe 25 years back and that was over a £1000 and I don't remember it being enough to cover the hours I put into it.

You trained with David?

No that costs lots of money....

I was working in the local shipyard & making my own furniture , in my own time using there 1930s machinery, {36 inch circular saw & 8ft/ 24 inch wide....long planer thicknesseser etc.}

When ever I got stuck & confused if the couple of remaining the old time fishing boat builders couldn't help me I went & asked David...{off the cuff.}

He seemed to love that as he said that's what he did in the east end as a lad.. he did what he could & when stuck went & asked someone who knew the answer. to a particular problem...That's how he learnt from the old east end mostly Jewish cabinet makers & wood crafters...

Later I did work for another very well known cabinet maker , who had previously paid David many,many thousands to learn his trade... He was very bitter that I had been generously helped for free, while he had paid fortunes to work on projects that where then sold for fortunes to Japan or the Emirates...

But he {not David. but his then well known previous student.} was a rather lower the sort of chap who wouldn't share his 2lt. bottle of Evian with you on an outside construction /assembly job that you hadn't been forewarned about on very hot sunny day.. while he mostly sat in the 4x4 under a large beech tree. while 2 of us did all the siteing, ground prep & assembly...{He said in justification said he might want to drink more of it later in the day & then made the play of washing his unworked hands in it at the end of the day..

But I wont name that particular piece of slime...

Personally Ill share even limited water with any human or dog... I think that's what nature intended...

But he never forgave me the free tutorage...:001_rolleyes: But he was probably just a **** bloke anyway...

I resigned the next morning..

Edited by spiral
spelling & detail

It didn't used to cost as much as does these days. Was fortunate that my folks payed for me to spend a year with David instead of being packed off to Uni. This was when he was in Bideford near the coal yard. He did enjoy teaching but rarely had the time as running the workshops and keeping it in work was nearly a full time job so Malcolm did a lot of the teaching .Think he went bust a few times along the way so having students wasn't profitable enough.

So were you at Appledore?

You got me racking my brains for the peace of slime :laugh1:

It didn't used to cost as much as does these days. Was fortunate that my folks payed for me to spend a year with David instead of being packed off to Uni. This was when he was in Bideford near the coal yard. He did enjoy teaching but rarely had the time as running the workshops and keeping it in work was nearly a full time job so Malcolm did a lot of the teaching .Think he went bust a few times along the way so having students wasn't profitable enough.

So were you at Appledore?

You got me racking my brains for the peace of slime :laugh1:

Same days then, that where I met him! {The little place down the side road by the coal merchants...}

I think it was profitable for him, he still doing it now, every time he went bust, somehow or other he was up & running in a few months. Many local suppliers & small businesses were left rather unhappy though.

I met Malcom a couple of times, he was skilled, but I loved Savages design flair & unconventional but still traditionalist approach.

Yes the refit yard at Appledore, not the new build...:sneaky2: Interesting place! A few characters there. :lol:

Your were lucky get that start in woodwork!:thumbup1: