Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

Mini diggers are cheap to buy and hire, you cannot make anywhere near the money with a digger that you can with a grinder.

Very true, micro digger would be used to tidy up and even a breaker on it when many stones and concrete is there, but I need a ticket on it for insurance to cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Yeah respirator is sure needed, very nasty breathing in

Thank you sir

Yeah, don't do it indoors!

I have two bench grinders mounted on top of a plank which then clamps into a workmate. Screwfix do a 8" Titan one which is good and powerful and costs about £40 with a free wire brush!!

One has a wire brush to clean the teeth and a carbide wheel which I first use to take the milder steel at the rear of the tooth back. Once you've done that, it is quite hot and needs to cool! Do some more....

Once you've done a batch like that, your grinder will also be hot and need to cool!

Then out comes the other grinder which has a Green Grit Silicone Tungsten Carbide wheel on, and a normal carbide wheel which is once again used to remove the rear metal once the green wheel has expose more of it.

I do this out on the lawn with an extension lead out of the 'man-cave'. Full overalls, eye protection and a valved mask to prevent the glasses steaming up!

It sounds a lot of hassle, but I buy 'once used' teeth on Ebay for usually less than 50% of cost new. I can get about 4 more sessions with them and sharpen about 3 sets of 12 per hour which equates to about £144 worth of teeth at cost new. I view this as very cost effective time well spent between jobs! I can get them ridiculously sharp and never run out as I have boxes full of them!

Buying a set of teeth for £50 and getting a day out of them costs £50/day.

Getting 5 days out of the same set costs £10/day and effectively saves you £200 a week for maybe a couple of hours work at most! It will also encourage you to change teeth more often which increases your effectiveness, as well as reducing fatigue on you and machine whilst saving time and fuel!

It's a 'no-brainer'!!!!:thumbup:

SG

Yeah, don't do it indoors!

I have two bench grinders mounted on top of a plank which then clamps into a workmate. Screwfix do a 8" Titan one which is good and powerful and costs about £40 with a free wire brush!!

One has a wire brush to clean the teeth and a carbide wheel which I first use to take the milder steel at the rear of the tooth back. Once you've done that, it is quite hot and needs to cool! Do some more....

Once you've done a batch like that, your grinder will also be hot and need to cool!

Then out comes the other grinder which has a Green Grit Silicone Tungsten Carbide wheel on, and a normal carbide wheel which is once again used to remove the rear metal once the green wheel has expose more of it.

I do this out on the lawn with an extension lead out of the 'man-cave'. Full overalls, eye protection and a valved mask to prevent the glasses steaming up!

It sounds a lot of hassle, but I buy 'once used' teeth on Ebay for usually less than 50% of cost new. I can get about 4 more sessions with them and sharpen about 3 sets of 12 per hour which equates to about £144 worth of teeth at cost new. I view this as very cost effective time well spent between jobs! I can get them ridiculously sharp and never run out as I have boxes full of them!

Buying a set of teeth for £50 and getting a day out of them costs £50/day.

Getting 5 days out of the same set costs £10/day and effectively saves you £200 a week for maybe a couple of hours work at most! It will also encourage you to change teeth more often which increases your effectiveness, as well as reducing fatigue on you and machine whilst saving time and fuel!

It's a 'no-brainer'!!!!:thumbup:

SG

Thank you alot for sharing this technique with me, I will go to screw fix tomorrow, return the knife sharpener grinder and buy the ones mentioned, the Titan grinder.. I take some pics if I manage to get it setup.. Good idea with the out doors and a wooden plank to connect them grinders on.. I use the multi tip but they should be similar to grind..

Best regards

Stefan

Thank you alot for sharing this technique with me, I will go to screw fix tomorrow, return the knife sharpener grinder and buy the ones mentioned, the Titan grinder.. I take some pics if I manage to get it setup.. Good idea with the out doors and a wooden plank to connect them grinders on.. I use the multi tip but they should be similar to grind..

Best regards

Stefan

If you get an 8" grinder you'll need a bigger wheel than the link I posted previously. One like this:

200mm 8 x 25mm 1 . Bench wheels. Green silicon carbide abrasive.

SG

If you get an 8" grinder you'll need a bigger wheel than the link I posted previously. One like this:

200mm 8 x 25mm 1 . Bench wheels. Green silicon carbide abrasive.

SG

Thank you so much, all this information will indeed help me tomorrow.

Can't believe I got a knife sharpener for 129 pounds, knew when I pressed the green start button it was not suited for the job, two revolution a second, way to slow, and was built in a plastic frame.

Thanks