Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

Only in France! Ground out a few biggish  yew stumps this morning, went to tidy up around 30 box stubs in gravelly soil. The owner had warned me just as I started on the box to watch out for a buried electric cable, forgot to inform me when I started grinding, so I moved over 75 cms to this batch. I'd done about 1 metre then hit, what I thought was a stone, a tremendous clatter, cutting wheel was running out of balance, turned engine off and had a look at the wheel. I'd hit a petanque steel ball, found it a good way off from the box, thank Christ it went forward and not backwards, they weigh a fair bit. It sheared one of the two bolts holding one of the teeth pockets in, one goes in from the left side and one from the right side. Never had that before, teeth, yes, but never a pocket. I was grinding out 9x 1metre 50cms wide and 60cms high oaks last week, hard as buggery, cut down over 5 years ago, so that must have put a strain on them. What annoyed me today was I went round with the metal detector beforehand, not a sodding bleep out of it, apart from my steel toecaps! Always happens when you far from home, 100 kms each way, couldn't happen last week when I was within 20 minutes from home.

20210607_144412.jpg

20210607_144233.jpg

20210607_144537.jpg

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Thought you were going to say a bomb when you started only in France, but one of those petanque balls is indeed something I have never hit.

I posted 4 years ago photos of the two 75mm German tank rounds that I hit about 10cms under the earth. No nose fuse but still live. It was round about January/February 2017 I think. The Germans fired an ammo dump opposite the house I was working at when they were retreating. That's why I now carry the metal detector in the van. Lot of bleeding use today,  Dan!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Exactly Mick. Got all the spares at home but it's a cow to get the bolts out,  ended up having to slice the pockets with an angle grinder when I changed them on the SC30TX. 

Bloody French leaving their oversized shotties about, it's a bleeding good job it got fired away from you/the machine.

Wait till Les sees this, he'll have one of his hilarious gags about playing with your balls at work. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

51 minutes ago, eggsarascal said:

Bloody French leaving their oversized shotties about, it's a bleeding good job it got fired away from you/the machine.

Wait till Les sees this, he'll have one of his hilarious gags about playing with your balls at work. 

Yup should have put those balls with his lunchbox 😆

On 07/06/2021 at 17:46, David Cropper said:

Exactly Mick. Got all the spares at home but it's a cow to get the bolts out,  ended up having to slice the pockets with an angle grinder when I changed them on the SC30TX. 

Been there done that with my 252 aswell. Right sod grinding down sid of pocket and disc to cut the bugger off. Silly size Allen key also is it 12.5mm 1/2"? Sheerd bolts on pockets.... Also ripped the tooth holder off a pocket before.... Just broke clear off :(

• Like 1