Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

3 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

These are two left high by a lazy git of a tree surgeon. I asked client did she want them left so high,  didn't get a say in it. No reason to not cut right down, I did it with my Echo with a 20 inch bar. Then ground them right out. No crap in there to warrant leaving them like that. Its easier to cut them high if you don't like bending, lazy twat.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1608819471753_6747877945653561457.jpeg

received_154366656445934.jpeg

Jees, even if there was crap in there it doesn't warrant leaving it like that. I always have a "worn out" bar and some chains that only have a couple of sharpens left in them for that sort of job. 

1 minute ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Jees, even if there was crap in there it doesn't warrant leaving it like that. I always have a "worn out" bar and some chains that only have a couple of sharpens left in them for that sort of job. 

Most of the lads I follow up on with my grinder screw the nut and reduce as low as possible. I stipulate if the wood looks full of crap then leave it high, don't want them buggering up chains unnecessarily. I've just done a quote for 100 stumps ranging from 40cms upto 1metre 20, lots need reducing but they will be before I arrive.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doug Tait said:

Can only think no-one wanted to put their chain through all the epi growth at base, especially when grinder is pto driven

Exactly that full of stones mud litter rather grind it off than ruin  the new chain on the saw.

we normally cut as low as possible.

Plus much nicer sitting in the cab in the pouring rain rather than crawling around on your knees in the mud fighting with a blunt saw.

every tree / stump is different

STUMP.jpg

Edited by arbwork
  • Like 5

• 4 months later...

Did this one during the week - first photo sent by customer so I gave a ball park figure. The reality was a bit different! Second pic shows what it was really like - turned out to not be too bad and was done and finished in 3 1/2 hours.

Nearly 3ft deep but was pretty soft - a pine of some kind but customer didn’t know what

028B814F-87F3-4558-834E-615FFC31AF60.jpeg

4756098C-3757-43F5-AB1C-7684259B03F1.jpeg

FF9156F2-24D8-4625-80D8-F282E9D2EF29.jpeg

5B500A8A-42A4-4F7B-919B-9B7C8C057CED.jpeg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

That measurement takes the piss a bit! Customer trying it on 

how did you resolve it? Reprice it before start? 

Luckily I gave a price of between two figures so told her if was the higher of the two. Still a bit under what I would have quoted, but after a 30 mile drive I didn’t want to turn around and leave it. Also picked up some more work there so not a total disaster 👍

Edited by rapalaman