Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

4 hours + prep.

Root plate completely ground out.

It was 270cm across the roots.

I couldn't cut it any lower due to inclusions.

What really had me worried was the tough roots which produced long fibres and took an age to break though to the stump which wasn't too bad. 

I turned the teeth and the wall of knarly roots fell beneath them.

I'd put €720 inc vat on it. No clear up.

I'd have charged much the same with a larger machine but The Boss does not wish to throw €20k+ at a larger more productive grinder and the B20 copes just fine with most stumps.

This was not at all my average stump and if I was faced with monsters like this on a weekly basis I'd certainly be pressing the accountant to release the funds.

Lucky the soil was dry so the wheel didn't suffer clagging.

If I'd done this job in last Winters conditions I'd be on a loser.

79.8 hours on the clock.

Stuart

20200530_105345.jpg

20200530_105534.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, marne said:

Jesus, 720€ on that stump! I would have done it for about 200 or less and I'd be happy to get the job. There must be a serious lack of competition or you live in an extremely wealth area. 

Combination of wealth and scarcity.

Plus services cost more here with social charges plus income taxes on salaries meaning a self employed person doing well might pay plus or minus 60% to the state.

Stuart

4 hours + prep.
Root plate completely ground out.
It was 270cm across the roots.
I couldn't cut it any lower due to inclusions.
What really had me worried was the tough roots which produced long fibres and took an age to break though to the stump which wasn't too bad. 
I turned the teeth and the wall of knarly roots fell beneath them.
I'd put €720 inc vat on it. No clear up.
I'd have charged much the same with a larger machine but The Boss does not wish to throw €20k+ at a larger more productive grinder and the B20 copes just fine with most stumps.
This was not at all my average stump and if I was faced with monsters like this on a weekly basis I'd certainly be pressing the accountant to release the funds.
 Lucky the soil was dry so the wheel didn't suffer clagging.
If I'd done this job in last Winters conditions I'd be on a loser.
79.8 hours on the clock.
   Stuart

20200530_105345.thumb.jpg.5acb86428c2df165d19a68c94992c08f.jpg
20200530_105534.thumb.jpg.0d0d99e684e7bd48daf6d02cda0d756c.jpg

If you had many of them jobs it would make sense with a bigger machine.

3 hours ago, Stefan Palokangas said:

If you had many of them jobs it would make sense with a bigger machine.

An exceptional sized stump rather than an every day one.

Running costs are very low with a simple grinder and at 80hrs in 21 months a larger machine isn't easily justifiable for the number of larger stumps I win.

Not to say I wouldn't like a Jo-Beau 37-110 which I know would fit in my garage alongside the chipper...

Stuart

An exceptional sized stump rather than an every day one.
Running costs are very low with a simple grinder and at 80hrs in 21 months a larger machine isn't easily justifiable for the number of larger stumps I win.
 Not to say I wouldn't like a Jo-Beau 37-110 which I know would fit in my garage alongside the chipper...
   Stuart
I don't think the cost seems miles out, was a monster.

I think if I was faced with the same I'd be hiring a bigger machine just for the day and then hopefully get round a couple of jobs. That way should make just as much in a day even with the hire charge, and not put as much strain through the old shoulders.

Ah...but it is very difficult to hire anything more than a ped grinder here and these are €200 per day plus vat plus time to collect/drop off and always with blunt teeth.

Loxam and Kiloutou both show larger grinders for hire but never available and at such eyewatering prices.

The prices shown are pro-rata per day if you hire for a week.

Stuart

received_266953291025090.png

349 euros per day is ok if you can knock out a couple of 700euro stumps, though. Or one at 700 and a couple of smaller ones. You've got more in your back pocket and less aching shoulders at the end of the day.

Tricky to take for a week though, you'd need a lot of stumps lined up and of course need to look after the teeth.