Post your stump grinding photos

Stefan Palokangas

On this council job I had a few comments and puzzled looks from the head of 'espaces verts' (parks and gardens) 

Jerome clearly expected something more... more machine in fact.

He asked me if this was what I had used for all the other stumps?

He was quite happy as they had been ground out to his expectations.

I do feel 'pre-judged' at times, turning up looking under equipped and perhaps amateur.

However, as soon as my clients see the machine set to the stump and my own mad energy as I battle away, they are reassured and can see just what they are paying for.

Some even say "enough enough, we don't want to dig a well!" then offer me a coffee or "something colder perhaps?"

This particular stump belonged to a oak whose roots got buried too deep when the area was developed.

It took 20 years for the tree to become such a hazard to the local footpath that it required removal.

My secrets for grinding using such a small machine are to change the teeth often and preparation, cutting the stump as low as possible.

Almost 2 years old, it paid for itself in less than a year, grinding stumps up to 1.5m and on one job alone, 57 leylandii stumps taking 18hrs machine time and 8 preparation.

I'll be on about 100hrs by the 2 year purchase aniversary.

Running Greenteeth copies which are a little slower than the Original Stay Sharp originals but very much less expensive.

I've only broken the pull cord so far.

The Honda engine is easy to start and smooth running.

The tacho I fitted is a great aid, for servicing and statistics, machine time/manual labour.

My only regret is not buying the B22 which is self propelled.

Being only 62kg I find advancing the 125kg over chip fatiguing.

Looking to the future at other machines, Jo-Beau 37-110 because of it's compact design or one of the FSI and Bandit, that ZT1844...

Stuart

20200429_164828.jpg

20200429_164855.jpg

20200429_173913.jpg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Ty Korrigan said:

On this council job I had a few comments and puzzled looks from the head of 'espaces verts' (parks and gardens) 

I do feel 'pre-judged' at times, turning up looking under equipped and perhaps amateur.

However, as soon as my clients see the machine set to the stump and my own mad energy as I battle away, they are reassured and can see just what they are paying for.

Some even say "enough enough, we don't want to dig a well!" then offer me a coffee or "something colder perhaps?"

This particular stump belonged to a oak whose roots got buried too deep when the area was developed.

It took 20 years for the tree to become such a hazard to the local footpath that it required removal.

My secrets for grinding using such a small machine are to change the teeth often and preparation, cutting the stump as low as possible.

Almost 2 years old, it paid for itself in less than a year, grinding stumps up to 1.5m and on one job alone, 57 leylandii stumps taking 18hrs machine time and 8 preparation.

Running Greenteeth copies which are a little slower than the Original Stay Sharp originals but very much less expensive.

The tacho I fitted is a great aid, for servicing and statistics, machine time/manual labour.

Looking to the future at other machines, Jo-Beau 37-110 because of it's compact design or one of the FSI and Bandit, that ZT1844...

Stuart

20200429_164828.jpg

20200429_164855.jpg

20200429_173913.jpg

The B20 is a great machine.  It always surprises me just what it can eat up.  I think the self-propelled version is a fair bit heavier which makes it not that easy to hump around and heave up steps for example.  I do know what you mean about pushing it over chip though.  I like FSI grinders a lot - don't own them, only hire them.  The tracked one is sound too.  Good kit.

• Like 1

Stuart

20200429_164828.thumb.jpg.42a2f1722010a1842aa0a86363149e9f.jpg
20200429_164855.thumb.jpg.c4eac6cfb6f0cb70c4c8890dcdbb4f47.jpg
20200429_173913.thumb.jpg.e3c7612e2b828affa06681fa68749be6.jpg

Great machine [emoji2]

Today, one of 5 mixed conifer stumps. A Picea stump after I'd cleared the soil with mattock and blower.

4.8hrs machine time today plus prep. 5 hours being my limit of endurance especially when the weather is in the high 20's.

The Picea wood was reasonable soft and the B20 flew through it.

I ground a cedar down to 40cm+ by digging a slope.

A windblown picea was a fecking mess of tangled roots but succombed in the end.

A couple of pines tested my patience with their dense fibrous cores.

Tomorrow I tackle a large Douglas (130cm)

I've already nibbled at some of the surface roots up to the stump.

Different proposition, very tough and fibrous.

Once I've chased the surface roots I'll turn the teeth.

The QRMS teeth are less sharp than the Greenteeth which causes me to think of getting a stock for just such occasions.

I used to change to Red Teeth for conifer on decent soils, much faster.

Anyone know if these still exist?

Stuart

IMG_20200529_193609_992.jpg

• Like 2

Today, one of 5 mixed conifer stumps. A Picea stump after I'd cleared the soil with mattock and blower.
4.8hrs machine time today plus prep. 5 hours being my limit of endurance especially when the weather is in the high 20's.
The QRMS teeth are less sharp than the Greenteeth which causes me to think of getting a stock for just such occasions.
  Stuart

IMG_20200529_193609_992.thumb.jpg.26ba37a4f0bc75295187c2dda5f323e3.jpg

That is hard work. No idea about red teeth. But you will save a lot of teeth with such outstanding preparation work.
  • Like 2

Stuart

IMG_20200529_193609_992.thumb.jpg.26ba37a4f0bc75295187c2dda5f323e3.jpg

Red green teeth are sharper but break easier ?