Rainwater Harvesting

briquette_seller

Does anyone do this?

Any downsides to doing this?

Recently moved into a house that has a water meter, looking to install a Rainwater Harvesting system for washing the motor etc, not for using in the house.

Hi,

We collect rainwater on a fairly large scale, around 4000 litres above in IBC tanks and a bit more below ground 5000 litre concrete tank, we also have a well with pump which I will connect to house eventually

Most of it is for the garden because it really does not rain very much if at all in summer, sometimes 8-10 weeks without rain.

I posted some flicks of my system for toilet flush, which diddnt cost much to install.

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/lounge/69884-saving-water.html

However, this & using rainwater for irrigation are now saving us a lot on the meter.

A black tank will help stop algae growth in summer or you can treat it

N

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not flush the toilet with it as well? Cheers, steve
Not sure if that was aimed at me, but connecting it up to the loos, (we've got 4) would be a lot of work, and I really can't be asked! :001_smile: The toilet ball cock arrangements are very sensitive to crud in the water and the task of filtering and routing the pipes didn't seem worth it. But if anyone wants to do it, fair play to you! :thumbup1: Some info from the EA [ARCHIVED CONTENT] Environment Agency - Re-using and harvesting water

I do it in a very basic way. Two big water butts off the shed roof, and a couple of buckets off the greenhouse. Did consider hooking it up to the house, but that's a fair bit more work and money and regulations. Plus the amount I get is about right to water the garden and top up the pond every so often. More water storage would be good (lots wasted in the wet spells, and not enough for the long dry spells really), but that's a project for another house I think.

Did look at a house that had no mains water at all, but a 5000 litre rainwater collection tank!

Have a c. 3000l sump that collects off the barn roof. It's normally overflowing but I've just installed a hand pump so we can use it for watering. I've bought another pump for the well which is right next to the house & has a few thousand gallons in it. We have a spring that puts out 3,000 gallons a day and that's way above the house so will be piping that down soon. We've also got a few waterbutts but frankly the hand pump is quicker I reckon

I have a gravity system that works on our downstairs toilet, the tank holds 5000 gallions and is filled from the guttering on one side of the house and sits about four feet off the ground. Most winters are not a problem but if the temperature drops to -8 the pipes freeze and we use a bucket to flush. This has only happened once in seven years so not it's really a problem. I have a sediment filter and have not had any debris probs.

I have been involved in another RWH system locally where they use UV light to sterilise but this is still only for the toilets.

I agree that this should be part of any new-build because in the long run is will certainly save money and the costs of piped water.

The proper pipe for this is coloured black with a green stripe to denote that it is rain-water. There were stock issues sometime back but I think it is readily available now.

codlasher

Edited by codlasher

For plant watering purposes:

Keep it algae free by putting in an aquatic plant such as http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/161621237383 .

Avoid freezing by foam lagging connecting pipes, (if daisy-chaining butts) and site butt/s in sheltered place. Use a MDPE tap such as http://www.toolstation.com/m/part.html?p=87509 or similar in large bore.

If daisy-chaining butts, use 25mm connecting pipe/s. Siting holes 100-150mm from base of each butt, so sunken debris doesn't block connecting pipes & tap.

Make sure each butt is on firm level ground, as full, they weigh a lot and you don't want them shifting or sinking into the ground. If possible site butt/s on stand/wall/bank to give easy access to fill watering can/bucket/provide a head of water.

All our water comes from rain water collection, stored in a 25000L tank. Will be installing another one this winter.

I don't see the issue with drinking rain water personally.

In the UK the primary issue is Legionaires disease, but mains water gets that sometimes.

Ive been all over NZ and like the idea of water self suffiency and no chemicals added but some of it in the North island tastes not so good.

All our water comes from rain water collection, stored in a 25000L tank. Will be installing another one this winter.

I don't see the issue with drinking rain water personally.

She'll be right mate! :biggrin: I spent a year in Christchurch, and saw several Canterbury matches at Lancaster Park. Though the cantabs usually beat the Southlanders, there was a good camaderie between the 2 teams! :thumbup1: