Rainwater Harvesting

briquette_seller

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be concerned that during winter the pipes freeze and burst. I also understand if sunlight gets into the tank you can get algae. Both problems could easily be overcome though.

If I was going to di it I would use an IBC tank - cheap and cheerful.

Hi, back in my days as a drainage consultant we used to cover this. No, there's no downside, just the cost of installing it. I'd get it done properly, hook it in to all your toilets, even your washing machine if you put a filter in the system. The best way to do it is with a tank in the ground or at ground level, pumping up to a small head tank in your loft. If during periods of drought, or in the case that the pump has failed, this head tank should be connected to top up from the mains to prevent the system running dry.

IMHO it should be mandatory on all new builds, driving the cost or the systems down and creating a stronger industry, but then why would politicians want to do that.

Hi, back in my days as a drainage consultant we used to cover this. No, there's no downside, just the cost of installing it. I'd get it done properly, hook it in to all your toilets, even your washing machine if you put a filter in the system. The best way to do it is with a tank in the ground or at ground level, pumping up to a small head tank in your loft. If during periods of drought, or in the case that the pump has failed, this head tank should be connected to top up from the mains to prevent the system running dry.

IMHO it should be mandatory on all new builds, driving the cost or the systems down and creating a stronger industry, but then why would politicians want to do that.

Totally agree, would also alleviate flood risk.