Work beyond tree's

Phillip

You need to come spend some time in my neck of the woods there's old boys up here that do more before 9 than most do all day

Had a job in 2012 installing 122 oak sleepers the old boy that helped me was as fit and strong as me. If you repeated the above to him you'd probably end up on your arse. :lol:

Yeah yeah yeah, :marchmellow::marchmellow:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been out of full time tree work for two years now as I was officially 'retired' in '2012! I'm busier now than ever before and although I'm not/can't do the physical 'hard' bits I'm working all the fine days and there's plenty of those.:001_tongue:

I do find I need some 'youff' to help me and that gives me great pleasure as their keenness is infectious and I enjoy making the job run smoothly.

I still do 11 hour days but I ache, particularly right now at the end of the week.

I have taken on jobs that I'm good at and can do well irrespective of what they are (this includes some tree work and some digging too) and the best bit is the happy customer.

I was given a big hug early this morning by a lovely lady for making a great job in her livery yard. Happy customer:thumbup:

codlasher

This is true. It is also true that you are no longer burdened with the foolishness of youth and have learned, hopefully, how to work with greater efficiency. After a tree climbing career of over 45 years I am a shadow of what I once was and I suffer from many of the things that you said and can still climb and climb well and enjoy the hell out of it.

I agree with Skyhuck, that many people let themselves fall apart because they are lead by society to do so and it is so easy. Age will impose limits on what you can do so realize that but only change what you do because it makes sense for you, not because someone else said you should.

Yep, efficiency is the key, I'm 37 and yeah 19 year olds wiz round the tree making a million cuts a second, I move round at my own pace and make every cut count( most of the time!). I'd be quite happy to go on and on

I have posted this before about a 100 year old skier and ski racer.

Lou Bacari.

The interviewer's final comment is memorable.

" How can I sit in an armchair and say I am too old to do anything when Lou Bacari is hurtling down a mountain somewhere"

[ame]

[/ame]

I have posted this before about a 100 year old skier and ski racer.

Lou Bacari.

The interviewer's final comment is memorable.

" How can I sit in an armchair and say I am too old to do anything when Lou Bacari is hurtling down a mountain somewhere"

:thumbup:

Oh the irony!! The true comes from a TRUE mountain man :lol::thumbup1:

At 50 I'm as keen as I was at 19, maybe keener and more dedicated. Unfortunately things don't always pan out as we'd like. I think most of my body is bigger and stronger than it ever was now, but it's come at a cost. I've spent most of this year dealing with such intense pain I could have screamed at times, while carrying on working. Turns out it was a med I was on had an adverse effect, just took an awful long time for the "experts" to suss it out. A driving factor in my recovery a while ago was to get back into tree work, against surgeons advice. I did it, but it takes its toll now. I've had to accept that I need to adapt and change the way I work, if I'm to make it through the rest of my working life.

Many people come into tree work for a relatively short time of their careers, few make it a lifelong vocation, personally I've seen many come and go. Im just too thick to do anything else.

Well, I'm still in trees, however this week I treated three poincianas for poinciana caterpillars. It had me thinking that if I do my study (hard when there's plenty of tree work on, and I feel exhausted after it), maybe I can do arboricultural work that doesn't involve removing trees and pruning them.

Next week I'm spraying one of them again. It still involves climbing, but it's much easier without the removal part.

I got the work by coming up with a combination attack against an insect pest that's been plaguing us, where I live. It was nice to get a reward for my arboriculture study. It made me feel like a real arborist!