Work beyond tree's

Phillip

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some great ideas put forward here but.....

Your money requirements/desires will have a big factor on the choices really available to you. Some jobs offering the interest just don't pay well whereas others pay well but may not float your boat.

That is for you to decide?

Your right. I was hoping for a few broad suggestions from people to help gain a clearer picture of opportunities out there so I could then get into the nitty gritty myself. Thanks to everybody who has shares their experiences:)

It's only "BS" in your opinion, an opinion that carries very little weight with me, I've met enough extremely strong and active older people and heard from enough experts to know it's not.

As for your qualifications I've no idea, I don't recall seeing a single video of even a picture of your work or you working, you could be a 14 year old girl for all I know :biggrin:

Why would I not want to climb at 65???

I too would love to still be climbing at 65.... I'm 50 in a couple of months and I've only been climbing (qualified) for a year. I've since lost a stone and a half in weight and I'm getting quicker not slower. (In fact much quicker). I recon I have realistically got 10 productive years left in the tank.

In a previous life I did window cleaning (with ladders) the guy that taught me is 70 and still has a round,

He is rapid and there aren't many that can keep up with him.

Beyond trees I also work with addicts, charity fundraising work, and public speaking.

I had the pleasure of meeting Reg Coates last year at the APF and he told me "don't let anyone tell you you are too old to climb"

Nice one Huck...... :)

Why??? Well you don't know what's around the corner in life. Plan for the unexpected, maybe a Plan B. Have an ideal Plan A, and a back up. I didn't. I'm 50 and I have just completed my 1st 5 day week in over 3 years. I'm dead chuffed with myself. My life didn't quite pan out as I'd have liked. So now I do a mix of tree work, hedging, planting and lawn care. I've just spent 2 (tedious) days scarifying 5250 m sq of lawn. But the money's good, as good as tree care, and I'm not totally exhausted for the weekend. I pay climbers to climb, draggers to drag, and I point at things. Evolve and survive.

The thing is all this talk about climbing at 65 and age just being a state of mind etc is just that, talk. The fact is as you age you suffer from age related conditions, arthritis, rheumatism, loss of strength, stamina, cardio vascular ability, the list goes on.

Denying that because some "truism" you read on a lolly stick that you like to quote because it sounds profound is silly.

This idea that you need to become lathargic and unfit or fat in middle and old age is ridiculous. Many choose to go this way, but that's not nature, it's idleness, IMO.

I'm 45 and still do all the climbing, I have no intention to ever stop.

"You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things"

What he said.

👍

The thing is all this talk about climbing at 65 and age just being a state of mind etc is just that, talk. The fact is as you age you suffer from age related conditions, arthritis, rheumatism, loss of strength, stamina, cardio vascular ability, the list goes on.

Denying that because some "truism" you read on a lolly stick that you like to quote because it sounds profound is silly.

Which is true, But, you can combat a lot of these things. For example I have arthritis in my knees and some other joints but decided after taking anti inflammatory drugs and hydrocortisone injections that only brought temporary relief and didn't really help so I decided to join a gym class and that really has reversed the condition.

Attitude is a very important factor in how we age and words are very powerful.

Fair play for still climbing at 51.....

... The fact is as you age you suffer from age related conditions, arthritis, rheumatism, loss of strength, stamina, cardio vascular ability, the list goes on...

This is true. It is also true that you are no longer burdened with the foolishness of youth and have learned, hopefully, how to work with greater efficiency. After a tree climbing career of over 45 years I am a shadow of what I once was and I suffer from many of the things that you said and can still climb and climb well and enjoy the hell out of it.

I agree with Skyhuck, that many people let themselves fall apart because they are lead by society to do so and it is so easy. Age will impose limits on what you can do so realize that but only change what you do because it makes sense for you, not because someone else said you should.

You need to come spend some time in my neck of the woods there's old boys up here that do more before 9 than most do all day

Had a job in 2012 installing 122 oak sleepers the old boy that helped me was as fit and strong as me. If you repeated the above to him you'd probably end up on your arse. :lol: