Work beyond tree's

Phillip

No 2 days are the same for me now, was a fullti e climber for 28 years then sold the house bought some milling kit a lathe a thickness-er and planer etc etc been making bowls tables and other things three or four days a week while still keeping my hand in climbing, I love my life right now, but then I always did, just following my heart,

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Take a wild guess.

This idea that you need to become lathargic and unfit or fat in middle and old age is ridiculous. Many choose to go this way, but that's not nature, it's idleness, IMO.

I'm 45 and still do all the climbing, I have no intention to ever stop.

"You don't stop doing things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing things"

I'm 51 and do all the climbing so I'm better qualified than you to pass judgement.

That "you don't stop doing things......" Cliche is utter BS

Sure you CAN climb at 65 but would you really want to?

I stopped playing football at 36. Do you think if I carried on I'd still get a place in my village team?

No 2 days are the same for me now, was a fullti e climber for 28 years then sold the house bought some milling kit a lathe a thickness-er and planer etc etc been making bowls tables and other things three or four days a week while still keeping my hand in climbing, I love my life right now, but then I always did, just following my heart,

A bit of variety and gaining new skills is definitely a positive, good suggestions:)

i think about this a lot as well. just as progression appeals to me - i guess it depends on the life stile you want to live also?

- ecology side of things maybe? wild life surveys

- some sort of green oak joinery or just carpentry/joinery in general

- as already mentioned assessor/teacher/T.O/surveying work..

- design and patent some useful arb kit (that no one else has thought of obvs..)

just a few things off the top of my head!

get an old fighter jet and some napalm, set about ridding the uk of its conifer hedges

the world is your oyster mate

I really like the idea of the ecology side of things- might be something to explore. Secondly I'd be more than happy to go into business with you napalming conifers... I'll draw up a business plan 😂😂

Some great ideas put forward here but.....

Your money requirements/desires will have a big factor on the choices really available to you. Some jobs offering the interest just don't pay well whereas others pay well but may not float your boat.

That is for you to decide?

I'm 51 and do all the climbing so I'm better qualified than you to pass judgement.

That "you don't stop doing things......" Cliche is utter BS

Sure you CAN climb at 65 but would you really want to?

I stopped playing football at 36. Do you think if I carried on I'd still get a place in my village team?

It's only "BS" in your opinion, an opinion that carries very little weight with me, I've met enough extremely strong and active older people and heard from enough experts to know it's not.

As for your qualifications I've no idea, I don't recall seeing a single video of even a picture of your work or you working, you could be a 14 year old girl for all I know :biggrin:

Why would I not want to climb at 65???