Work beyond tree's

Phillip

At 50 I'm as keen as I was at 19, maybe keener and more dedicated. Unfortunately things don't always pan out as we'd like. I think most of my body is bigger and stronger than it ever was now, but it's come at a cost. I've spent most of this year dealing with such intense pain I could have screamed at times, while carrying on working. Turns out it was a med I was on had an adverse effect, just took an awful long time for the "experts" to suss it out. A driving factor in my recovery a while ago was to get back into tree work, against surgeons advice. I did it, but it takes its toll now. I've had to accept that I need to adapt and change the way I work, if I'm to make it through the rest of my working life.

Many people come into tree work for a relatively short time of their careers, few make it a lifelong vocation, personally I've seen many come and go. Im just too thick to do anything else.

Me too, I'm a one trick pony.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is an older tree surgeon near me who has retrained as a domestic electrician, he must be 60 plus now. With electrics it's do a course for a few grand and register with a scheme, much easier than a gas fitter, which requires working with a qualified gas fitter to gain experience before qualifying.

As has been said before, the worst bit is not the climbing, it's moving what's been cut. Get a muscle man in and pay them top whack.

Even if climbing is a strain on a sixty year old body, if you don't spend everything when you're younger a three day week should pay the bills. Buying some solid dividend paying shares is my plan, and hoping to be happier than a famine victim

As someone else posted, find out what your passion is and that might just be your answer.

If you don't know what your passion is and want to do a few courses on various things, there is a site called Udemy that offers lots of courses on many things. Not to train you for a different occupation but may just be enough to show you different alternatives.

Don't pay full price for a Udemy course as if you register with them they will eventually send you an email with thousands of courses reduced to $10 or so.

Courses are done by all different nationalities so make sure you can understand them first by clicking on a sample.

Site is

http://www.udemy.com

So many options out there but it is finding what you want and how much effort you are willing to put out.

Tree LC

Horsham Tree Surgeon

Some very insightful comments above, thank you. :) I'd like to point out that curiosity alone prompted me to start this thread. I'm currently in no rush to get out of trees- just wanted a brainstorm of ideas as back up really. Looking much further down the line. The variety of answers hasn't disappointed.

Why??? Well you don't know what's around the corner in life. Plan for the unexpected, maybe a Plan B. Have an ideal Plan A, and a back up. I didn't. I'm 50 and I have just completed my 1st 5 day week in over 3 years. I'm dead chuffed with myself. My life didn't quite pan out as I'd have liked. So now I do a mix of tree work, hedging, planting and lawn care. I've just spent 2 (tedious) days scarifying 5250 m sq of lawn. But the money's good, as good as tree care, and I'm not totally exhausted for the weekend. I pay climbers to climb, draggers to drag, and I point at things. Evolve and survive.

good to hear things have started panning out Andy, long may you stay posative:thumbup1:

Some very insightful comments above, thank you. :) I'd like to point out that curiosity alone prompted me to start this thread. I'm currently in no rush to get out of trees- just wanted a brainstorm of ideas as back up really. Looking much further down the line. The variety of answers hasn't disappointed.

dont matter what plan you make, life will present to you what you need, just be a good human being, and the ether will take care of you in return. I had no bloody idea what I was going to do when the age kicked in, spent a lot of time studying and pushing spent a fortune on courses books and research to get a name for myself to be a Dr in arb mycolgy, then boom, I bought a house in Bulgaria and discovered a flair and love of wood turning and tables, life is a journey, planning takes the fun out of it, as did the labour to work toward the plans:biggrin:

dont matter what plan you make, life will present to you what you need, just be a good human being, and the ether will take care of you in return. I had no bloody idea what I was going to do when the age kicked in, spent a lot of time studying and pushing spent a fortune on courses books and research to get a name for myself to be a Dr in arb mycolgy, then boom, I bought a house in Bulgaria and discovered a flair and love of wood turning and tables, life is a journey, planning takes the fun out of it, as did the labour to work toward the plans:biggrin:

So those who's lives go badly have only themselves to blame :confused1:

You sound like Glenn Hoddle :001_huh:Hoddle's future in doubt after disabled slur | Football | The Guardian