Keeping your rings dry

Dean Lofthouse

Getting nerdy about this now, average rainfall Dunbar: 600mm:001_smile:

Average rainfall Huddersfield: 814mm:sad:

Average rainfall Manchester: 809mm!!! cant beleive you're wetter than Skyhuck, assuming he is in Manchester.

Glasgow (closest I could get to Largs) :1015mm :sneaky2:

Anglesey :843mm

Looks like SWB is the wettest unless anyone can top a whopping metre of rain each year.

Clearly I need to go to bed now:ohmy:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never heard it called rings before,perhaps a regional thing eh .

Never the less if you let it lie in unsplit pieces it will take forever to dry and some species will rot from the inside out before it dries .

I suppose I live in a less rainy climate than GB but I only tarp the stacks down from about first of Nov. to late May,during the snow and rainy seasons .

Placed on pallettes or skids to keep it off the ground plus properly stacked it dries and keeps just fine. Heaped up in a big giant pile chances are the inside pieces will either rot or grow mold and the bottom of the pile will become unusable in a year or less .

cheers chaps , i wont be telling dangerous brian that or he will be logging everything into 8 inch rings on site ha ha .

secondly do any of you use popular for fire wood ?? i have been offered about 5 tons for free but tbh i really cant see it being worth burning or waiting 12 months for it to dry out but once again this is only my oppinion . what do you guys think ????

We bought in a load of poplar/aspen hybrid in April. It was wet through to start with but after it has been split for 2-3 months it is excellent firewood. Dries out really quickly, even the rain dreis out quick. Most that was split in May is now down to 20 - 25% MC.

We split it in 3ft lengths as it is a piece of cake to stack, cover (usually just a piece of old tarp to deflect most of the rain off the top, sides uncovered)and season

When it's ready to go out we cut it on a bench saw to what ever length anyone wants

59765471b792e_logtasticlogs1002.jpg.fbbe3c83e6939a926c6f046ed9dd2184.jpg