Climbing type A or C, help? :(

StirlingArb

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone actually ever tried cutting a old pair of trousers to see the effects and how a saw drags them about?

Unlike Mr Bourne I've managed to put a saw in trousers a number of times and it's never dragged them around , thing is any saw over 50cc on full chat and they are going through , they literally just cut straight through and chuck them out the back like saw dust also the Kevlar is pulled up the leg not side ways as I found out once dismantling an oak in a snow storm.

Any way once thinning and raising an avenues of street limes in the middle of August I looked down to see I had left a peg so thinking it's ok I've got type C trousers I make an under leg cut instead of going down a few feet to get better positioning and yes the saw kicked back and went in to the rear calf of the SIPS type C I was wearing, I quickly drew the conclusion I would not of attempted such a stupid cut if I had been not so flaked out with the heat and definitely not if I'd Worn type A's thinking I have no protection so use a better work position has been my thought ever since and it's worked.

question if the HSE says use C and you use A's and you have an accident is your insurance going to pay out if it finds out ?????

also if your saw work is so good why bother wearing any protect !!!!!

i know where you guys are coming from but hell your not only taking a risk in reducing your protection but on a pure insurance issue i wouldn't even think about it if i have an accident i want to guarantee that my insurance pays out and in the event that i can no longer work my family is looked after

I fully agree for the sake of a small amount more weight. Why risk it too look good? Your saw work is good till you have that momentary lapse of concentration or over confidence.

Been climbing like a nutter for 17yrs now and always worn type c's. Hit the back of my calf twice with a 200 and although they were very light touches it still hit the protection.

In my opinion Type A's are for groundies.

I fully agree for the sake of a small amount more weight. Why risk it too look good? Your saw work is good till you have that momentary lapse of concentration or over confidence.

Been climbing like a nutter for 17yrs now and always worn type c's. Hit the back of my calf twice with a 200 and although they were very light touches it still hit the protection.

Now I'm not going to criticize or anything (I've spent time in A&E in work gear), but could you run through how that happened

Twice !!!! I only went full retard once mate.

Prob can't no mate just remember having the chain cuts on my trousers I think I recall one on a cypress take down just buzzing off branches quickly everywhere I could reach from one position one handed no doubt and got a little kick off into it. Like I've said it's the over confidence or over competence that bites you the silly little cuts that you take the risk on and I've heard it from guys I've worked with over the years that have nicked themselves that that's what it was a silly little cut they shouldn't have made.

Who really cares how it happened anyway the point of this discussion is the relevance to the fact that it can happen and that hse does say class c from what I remember therefore it's nail on the head with regard to insurance questions.

As for whoever said that the insurance didn't question it that's utter **** they want to know the ins and outs of everything regarding accident EVERYTHING!

Well I cared how it happened. I don't suppose I was alone in that.

Fair enough mate. If I had fully recalled how it happened I'd have given you the full account. But they were little touches really no full revving action. Perhaps you could start a thread "how did you put little Knicks in your trousers?"

In seriousness my point to was if I hadn't of had full protection I may well of had a little cut.

To the op if your self employed and working for yourself it's upto you really.

Otherwise ask your employer and then it's upto him.

I fully agree for the sake of a small amount more weight. Why risk it too look good?

Its not about how you look .....Its how you feel ...Sweating bloody light bulbs or slightely cooler and able to concentrate on what you are doing .