Climbing type A or C, help? :(

StirlingArb

if your going to use a saw in the postion that may cut the bk of yr leg YOU need retraining ,in all aspects off saw usage & climbing mi boy :biggrin:

It's not about using the saw near the backs of your legs mate, although it is a point. But all round protection was designed to help stop saws from dragging and turning the trousers around on your legs to the point it would cut through the non protection part. My point is your more than likely to encounter this through snedding brash on the floor so I can't see why type C's are recommended for climbing only!!!!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if your going to use a saw in the postion that may cut the bk of yr leg YOU need retraining ,in all aspects off saw usage & climbing mi boy :biggrin:
lol very clever

i don't as i realize there is no substitute for good saw use and good work positioning , i'm just looking for information and understanding .(not sure i will get it here :) )

It's not about using the saw near the backs of your legs mate, although it is a point. But all round protection was designed to help stop saws from dragging and turning the trousers around on your legs to the point it would cut through the non protection part. My point is your more than likely to encounter this through snedding brash on the floor so I can't see why type C's are recommended for climbing only!!!!

you shouldnt a a saw anywere near your legs ,should you ?

As far as I am aware, type A's are perfectly sufficient and you are still covered by insurance should something happen.

However, interestingly, in Germany its very possible in the near future that you will no longer have to wear any cut protection at all when climbing, on the principle that if there is the danger you will cut yourself in the leg, then you are bad climber and therefore should not be certified in the first place to use a saw in the tree.

In short, type A's will do, no need for any concern

Cheers gentlemen,

That has given me some relief, there's me sweating my ass off in C's :sneaky2:

I know insurance wise you just have to declare that you're using A's in your risk assessment and why (too hot etc)

Thank you again good sirs :)

I can now pass on my Hiflex to my girlfriend as a nice warm set of trousers :thumbup1::001_tongue:

- Jay

As far as I understand, you can choose to wear type A trousers, as opposed to the recommended type C ones. However you must justify your actions.

I do this for two reasons. Firstly the lack of range of movement, even with modern fabrics. Secondly the heat issue. I find this a greater hazard than the reduction in saw protection.

I justified & recorded my decision.

Have you ever topped a conny hedge?

Why does that still justify cutting anywhere near your legs??

I watched myself with much interest whist climbing anything once! Just to see how many times I cut near my legs. My findings helped me decide that being cooler out weighed being cut on my legs because "A" I don't cut near my legs and "B" I have never even nicked any of my leggings with a saw in over 18 years now.

Like Peter says if you can fully justify why your wearing A's then there should be no reason why it should be deemed unsafe.