Climbing type A or C, help? :(

StirlingArb

Thing is with all of these things it's always a matter of when you stop.

If anyone ever says "they're too pricey or too uncomfortable about anything from boots to helmets or alkalyte fuel up goes the cry "but how much are your feet/hands/lungs worth?"

There would be not end to it, we'd all be wearing full body protection sitting in cherry pickers holding long arm pruners.

I have felt the kiss of a chainsaw and it's pretty sobering, but I couldn't wear all rounds again. I understand that topping connys can get you in some strange positions, But keeping the saw away from the back of your legs seems simple enough.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough I'm not that concerned about the possibility of cutting the back of my legs.

I prefer the protection C's offer against thorn, bramble and dirty conny stubs.

If it's really hot and I'm feeling suicidal I'll climb in Arborwears, but I wouldn't make anyone else do it or advocate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Prob can't no mate just remember having the chain cuts on my trousers I think I recall one on a cypress take down just buzzing off branches quickly everywhere I could reach from one position one handed no doubt and got a little kick off into it. Like I've said it's the over confidence or over competence that bites you the silly little cuts that you take the risk on and I've heard it from guys I've worked with over the years that have nicked themselves that that's what it was a silly little cut they shouldn't have made.

Who really cares how it happened anyway the point of this discussion is the relevance to the fact that it can happen and that hse does say class c from what I remember therefore it's nail on the head with regard to insurance questions.

As for whoever said that the insurance didn't question it that's utter **** they want to know the ins and outs of everything regarding accident EVERYTHING!

That was me that said that. And your wrong on the occasion i referred to, they never asked ANYTHING !! i can shout with capitals to :biggrin:

I take it that if "chainsaw jackets" were recommended by HSE, you would wear one???

I'd put the sleeves on if it became an insurance issue possibly but it would be begrudgingly. I hate wearing the trousers in the summer. I'm bored of this now I really am I'm no PPe policeman but when they invented the bullet proof vest do you think they got turned down because it was too hot. It's just a good idea. Protection around the legs that is all end of, your all entitled to your own opinion don't need to question mine mine won't change my argument is to prevent people who are worried about sweaty legs or the possibility of something looking good to not cut themselves.

FFS !! When did any one on the whole of this thread state they wear type a's because they look good ??? They look identical if any thing type C's look better imo.. Neither did any one say anything about been worried about sweaty legs it's heat stroke and exhaustion and associated disorders from dehydrated if wearing type Cs is making people complacent enough to use the saw in a bad position then I would go as far enough to say the german approach some one mentioned at the start of the thread is the way forward and if I'm honest there are plenty of skilled climbers in this country who don't wear any leg protection in summer ... Myself I would not consider that an option as my saw conditioning at times is a flailing mad man but being in control and not sloppy is more important to me now than just getting the job done in what ever manner necessary.

If I wanted to look good then I'd wear what I wear at night! Not sure my wife would be to pleased about it though!!!

Well it's one thing wearing her underwear in your own time, but when they come back full of sawdust and smelling of 2 stroke I can understand her frustration!

Well it's one thing wearing her underwear in your own time, but when they come back full of sawdust and smelling of 2 stroke I can understand her frustration!

Your obviously or have been in the same situation mate, and feel my pain! I've said to her it makes me feel special but she won't have any of it!