Climbing type A or C, help? :(

StirlingArb

Why does that still justify cutting anywhere near your legs??

I watched myself with much interest whist climbing anything once! Just to see how many times I cut near my legs. My findings helped me decide that being cooler out weighed being cut on my legs because "A" I don't cut near my legs and "B" I have never even nicked any of my leggings with a saw in over 18 years now.

Like Peter says if you can fully justify why your wearing A's then there should be no reason why it should be deemed unsafe.

I'm not condemning Type A's mate, I wear them.

In some circumstances though cutting close to your legs is hard to avoid. For example in conny hedges where footholds are scarce, and the only place for your foot is near where you're cutting.

For what it's worth I also cut close to my arms, hands, and other appendages. Though never without careful deliberation.

Sometimes the perfect work position just ain't available.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kind of shocked by this, i would only ever wear C's climbing,

What would you tell your missus or your mum if you cut your leg open, i wanted the ones that were nicer and not a pain in the arse to work in?

As for the heat issue, in 7 years ive not had a day when they've been too much.

ive used stihl hi flex's sips freedoms and stretch airs.

What would you tell your missus or your mum if you cut your leg open, i wanted the ones that were nicer and not a pain in the arse to work in

Yes..

Heats an issue mate I wore type C,s for the first 10 or so years of my career but I wear type A's now as I get dehydrated and kidney stones sweating my nuts off in summer as you get older you also get weird heat rashes , shingles and other crap so I'll stick to my type A's and wonder why in disbelief wearing type C's was ever an option and how much overheating all the time probably messed my body up.

Kind of shocked by this, i would only ever wear C's climbing,

What would you tell your missus or your mum if you cut your leg open, i wanted the ones that were nicer and not a pain in the arse to work in?

As for the heat issue, in 7 years ive not had a day when they've been too much.

ive used stihl hi flex's sips freedoms and stretch airs.

Do you wear upper body protection???

Do you wear upper body protection???

out of curiosity, i tried working in a jacket with saw protection in the arms and shoulders, lasted all of about 2 mins before the heat was so bad, i thought i was going to pass out lol!

im in camp type A!!

I use both, c's in winter and A's from about now on, really wish more manufacturer made B's as the extra padding on the back of the calf helps when spiking as I've actually cut the muscles there clean in half (not a chainsaw) I have gecko's which are the best I've found but still like the extra padding so sod all to do with the extra safety.

In my opinion being overheated and not fully concentrating is far more dangerous than being cooler and more with it to get a better work position.

Has anyone actually ever tried cutting a old pair of trousers to see the effects and how a saw drags them about?

I use both, c's in winter and A's from about now on, really wish more manufacturer made B's as the extra padding on the back of the calf helps when spiking as I've actually cut the muscles there clean in half (not a chainsaw) I have gecko's which are the best I've found but still like the extra padding so sod all to do with the extra safety.

In my opinion being overheated and not fully concentrating is far more dangerous than being cooler and more with it to get a better work position.

Has anyone actually ever tried cutting a old pair of trousers to see the effects and how a saw drags them about?

What happened to the trusty bashlins??