CH4 NEWS - Nesting Birds & Network Rail

Hobbsurf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There could be many lawful activities that give rise to disturbance to birds when they are nesting and I suspect that all of us would find ourselves causing disturbance of that kind at some time or another."

Received the above last month when questioning heather burning and disturbance to nesting birds.

Want to have a guess where this wisdom came from?

Tree sparrow eh?

Just had a look on Wiki as I'd never heard of this bird. House Sparrow yes.

Well, down 93% but on the up says the RSPB

I've read another source where pesticides, mink and cats cause the greatest loss of song birds.

Certainly tree surgeons are not mentioned.

Monday-Thursday we've another humungous conifer hedge to rag out, this time through the eye of a needle so no good the biomass chipper.

I don't have ANY conscience about nesting birds.

If I didn't do it then another business would.

Not as if urban Thuya hedges are home to the last breeding pairs of any endangered species.

Ty

Indeed.

It would be argued they are not felling the tree "accidentally".

How does one fell a tree accidentally? By felling another tree on purpose, that so happens to fall and take out another on its way down, or by reversing a heavy vehicle into a standing tree and causing it to fall?

NR's actions could indeed be regarded as reckless.

Perhaps one day the railway embankments will begin to significantly erode, given the vegetation clearance going on in places.

"There could be many lawful activities that give rise to disturbance to birds when they are nesting and I suspect that all of us would find ourselves causing disturbance of that kind at some time or another."

Received the above last month when questioning heather burning and disturbance to nesting birds.

Want to have a guess where this wisdom came from?

Natural England? RSPB?

Tree sparrow eh?

I don't have ANY conscience about nesting birds.

If I didn't do it then another business would.

Not as if urban Thuya hedges are home to the last breeding pairs of any endangered species.

Ty

You miss the point entirely and set a dangerous precedent that unfortunately many people hold as if it is even remotely acceptable.

We forget we exist as part of nature, and operate within its bounds; not outside. We must learn to accommodate other species that rely on the chaotic environment we create so readily.

As far as I'm concerned, tree works can wait for nesting birds to vacate. If it's dangerous, the law provides an exemption. Else, tolerate it.

Tree sparrow eh?

Just had a look on Wiki as I'd never heard of this bird. House Sparrow yes.

Ty

If you had not even heard of tree sparrows what on earth possesses you to make the comment in your last sentence?