Fings wot broke

aspenarb

Another metal fatigue/weld fail on the ST8. This one on the roller box, tried to weld it on site to no avail, we’ll have another crack at it this weekend in the workshop.

Every week there’s some issue or other, mostly due to vibration, this is the latest in around half a dozen build failings, a couple of which were very serious.

In the 12 years I ran the TW150 I had only one weld failure.

Redwood have been great, no complaints there.

If I wasn't half savvy or at least knew some mates who were, this chipper would have finished me.

A86326AF-3749-412D-8F6E-F2E930BEE059.jpeg

Edited by Mick Dempsey
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
8 hours ago, Alex O said:

Thought you got rid mick? Hows the other chipper doing?

No, still owe a few quid on it, schliesing is good, but a bit big for back garden stuff.

I have had to replace a hydraulic motor on it, which hurt a bit (€660)

I keep them both.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 17/04/2019 at 18:27, Mick Dempsey said:

Another metal fatigue/weld fail on the ST8. This one on the roller box, tried to weld it on site to no avail, we’ll have another crack at it this weekend in the workshop.

Every week there’s some issue or other, mostly due to vibration, this is the latest in around half a dozen build failings, a couple of which were very serious.

In the 12 years I ran the TW150 I had only one weld failure.

Redwood have been great, no complaints there.

If I wasn't half savvy or at least knew some mates who were, this chipper would have finished me.

A86326AF-3749-412D-8F6E-F2E930BEE059.jpeg

You have my sympathy.

I felt that way about the Quadchip built and component quality.

Especially the Carlton 4012 and it's capricious radio control which raised my stress levels to way beyond critical.

It's repairs eventually costing more than the 'nett' profit it generated.

Somebody elses nightmare now...

Stuart

On 29/07/2019 at 23:37, monkeybusiness said:

Yeah, it twisted slightly when run with the top link extended, but I was amazed how bad it got in the end without snapping... 

Always surprised that on these types/uses of shaft, that there isn't a couple of grease nipples to be able to lather them up along shaft length!?! There is a hell of a lot of torsional drag when raising or lowering the tool with power on, that 'twist' really does put pressure of the tubes as well as the spiders but it ain't easy to lubricate the inner and outer surfaces.

• Like 1