Fings wot broke

aspenarb

23 hours ago, IronMike said:

(Sung in the style of pop goes the weasel)

"Nice load on of Larch thinnings, and time to forward the timber, set off forwards with no problem, snap goes the axle!"

20220303_134633.jpg

Not Again!! 😣 K

( anyway i Covid positive) K

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ratman said:

Ohh you lucky boy you! They usually disintegrate rapido when they start to go! Any other damage or have you got away with it? Half shafts alright?

Yeah i only noticed it last time i used the van.. on a 400-mile round trip with a trailer to pick up a Land Rover. No other damage, all the gears are fine and unmarked, half shafts are fine. Very lucky.

I had to make a spreader tool for the diff housing:

20220328_153742.thumb.jpg.265dc5517c365eb96426e32938cf2848.jpg

Also had injector blow by, 3 came out fine, cylinder 1 was stuck and was slide hammered out, which killed the injector. (Same happened to my mate's Sprinter.) Chucked in a used one, i've spent enough on this van lately.

20220326_163456.thumb.jpg.3fef58f7efb2d3661203a6b013b9fa71.jpg

• Like 8

Yeah i only noticed it last time i used the van.. on a 400-mile round trip with a trailer to pick up a Land Rover. No other damage, all the gears are fine and unmarked, half shafts are fine. Very lucky.

I had to make a spreader tool for the diff housing:

20220328_153742.thumb.jpg.265dc5517c365eb96426e32938cf2848.jpg

Also had injector blow by, 3 came out fine, cylinder 1 was stuck and was slide hammered out, which killed the injector. (Same happened to my mate's Sprinter.) Chucked in a used one, i've spent enough on this van lately.

20220326_163456.thumb.jpg.3fef58f7efb2d3661203a6b013b9fa71.jpg

Took a couple of lads on that came from a merc dealership, they recommend changing half shafts with any major diff repair as they end up losing alot of flesh from the splines also when you suffer pinion bearing failures.
They put injectors in with a special anti seize paste, ya know the score when ya get blow by and they get coked up to chuff, end up mullering em or even wrecking head getting em out, rekon its the dogs nuts….. and it is, not had a stuck injector since using it. Heres a pic of it for part number if ya interested, its not cheap but does its job!!!

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6788.jpg
  • Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Took a couple of lads on that came from a merc dealership, they recommend changing half shafts with any major diff repair as they end up losing alot of flesh from the splines also when you suffer pinion bearing failures.
They put injectors in with a special anti seize paste, ya know the score when ya get blow by and they get coked up to chuff, end up mullering em or even wrecking head getting em out, rekon its the dogs nuts….. and it is, not had a stuck injector since using it. Heres a pic of it for part number if ya interested, its not cheap but does its job!!!

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6788.jpg

Good tip, just googled it and it would appear to be ceramic grease which I hadn't previously heard of, I'll be getting a tub of this for the workshop, cheers👍

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Fuel Injectors Glow Plugs Grease Fits Dodge Volvo Mercedes Benz Febi 26712 - Fast & Free Delivery from Simply Car Parts...

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Ratman said:

IMG_6787.jpg

IMG_6788.jpg

I checked the half shafts and they looked fine, unfortunately Merc only sell them with the wheel bearings, for crazy money. The van doesn't get a lot of use and isn't earning any money so i'm trying not to spend too much on it. (Just had a £220 alternator too.) The pinion bearings showed very little wear/damage, but the diff side bearings were the trashed ones. They've been worn for a while (diff knock on gear changes) but only whined last time i used the van. The synchros aren't great so i need to learn gearbox rebuilding sometime..

I have that grease, from Febi. About 15 quid a pot but well worth it. I use it for both injectors and glowplugs.

20220327_122841.thumb.jpg.bddbb0f27ca26dddd5fd22fff006aa6b.jpg

Good eye knowing what diff it was! Is it Daf you work for?

• Like 1