Fings wot broke

aspenarb

2 minutes ago, Billhook said:

There are two pins with dimples and I did split the track before as we found a better one to replace it

I had not considered taking it off unbroken as it weighs so much also it is too close to the wall for room to work

I will split it and I do have the Matbro to assist

I remember the effort knocking the pin out last time hence I was wondering if there was a power tool designed to knock out pins

I know some fit young lads who need some exercise after Lockdown and a crate of beer might work out cheapest in the long run!

We used to heat the track links to get them out, then a heavy drift with a sledgehammer.

15 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Strangely I remember helping someone replace track chains early on, if it wasn't with you it must have been on the Case 850 at one of my early jobs.

The joining pin did have a dimple though didn't it?

I late did the same with my Case 450a and did knock the joining pin out and connected the old chain to the new and drove forward on to it, I did use the gas axe to cut the track plate bolts off. I got the chain, bolts and drive sprocket from INMARLO near Chertsey bridg, over thirty years ago now.

I have been scratching my head and remember rechaining an M/F 450s at Loampits, I seem to recall splitting that track and as billhook says there was a dimple in the pin end. The other occasion you might have been present was at Stoney Yarrows when I retracked an M/F 200, but that one was cut off as it was to have new chains, plates and sprockets.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Billhook said:

I had not considered taking it off unbroken as it weighs so much also it is

It's not a problem Bill, a decent chain and a few ratchet straps and it would be on in a few minutes even on your own, I have wrestled the track back on a 580c on my own and that was sat in a pond we were clearing out. Its more technique than grunt.

Bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

20190323_125222.thumb.jpg.f134fe61505188d4b3ff2dab9d0d0f20.jpg

Another way of knocking a pin out!

I found my special tool I made for the job twenty years ago!  A large diameter bar with a piece welded to it to enable the holder to keep a safe distance from the striker!

But I might still investigate whether I can wiggle the track drive gear out without splitting the track if I can make it loose enough.  Debating whether to even take the track off the front idler, or off altogether 

• Like 1

If you carefully support the track everywhere it tries to sag, then you will easily prise it off the idler. Logs cut to length are ideal. Even if you managed to remove the sprocket you would never get it back in with the chain on. Its not like you are dealing with a new chain, that ones going to have a fair bit of side play. Give the joining pin your best shot, if it shifts then split the track, if not then track off. You might be able to leave it on the support roller and still give yourself some working space. Whatever watch your knuckles and your toes and good luck.

16 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

If you carefully support the track everywhere it tries to sag, then you will easily prise it off the idler. Logs cut to length are ideal. Even if you managed to remove the sprocket you would never get it back in with the chain on. Its not like you are dealing with a new chain, that ones going to have a fair bit of side play. Give the joining pin your best shot, if it shifts then split the track, if not then track off. You might be able to leave it on the support roller and still give yourself some working space. Whatever watch your knuckles and your toes and good luck.

Thanks, I think I will take that advice

Well, not strictly broken but certainly caused some grief. Our local Stumpbusters man (Chris Gregory, great bloke) called on me for rescue earlier this week. His Carlton 2.5 ton tracked grinder was on a side slope when the downhill track came off. It was at the bottom of a sloping lawn with only flimsy shrubs between it and a 3ft drop onto the lane beneath, and there was no way he could safely raise the side of the machine where it was to replace the track. We used my Series 3 Land Rover with PTO winch, with the vehicle linked to the Iveco tipper for an anchor. With Chris operating the track that was still on and the winch pulling on the other side we managed to drag the grinder along and uphill to level ground, where Chris then manage to get the track back on. I think that is the heaviest load the winch has pulled so far, and that was without using a pulley to double the pulling power. Pity I didn't take any pictures.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1