Fings wot broke

aspenarb

• 3 weeks later...

Some weeks are better than others. So this week the air con on the van packed in (electrical fault), only 5 yrs old and 35k on clock. Also the trailer circuit has gone mad - replaced the most distal part of the wiring harness on the Iveco Daily to the 13 pin socket as 2 wires were snapped due to corrosion. But no, that didn't fix it - the n/s indicator and side/tail don't work unless you press the brake pedal wtf? So off to the garage it goes, 5 yrs old, out of warranty and the local garage who look after it (who are great) said best take to main dealer as would no doubt be a pita to diagnose. Then the next day the MS880 seizes, about 12 yrs old, but not done a lot of work. Going to get that fixed for sure, as they are NLA.

• Sad 1

Bought this 806 C JCB in 2000 for £2000.  The machine had done a lot of work before I bought it and has had some hard treatment recently.

Last September it started to rain on the 23rd and did not stop till mid March

I had to drag the old soldier out of retirement to clean out the overflowing ditches and together we did over a mile and a half and save a lot of our land from flooding.  I am not sure it helped downstream! The JCB has a ten foot Ash growing out of the engine compartment but after its removal the engine struck up first time.  Good old six cylinder Perkins with no clever computer aids or other things to go wrong.

A hundred yards from the main road the track came off the idler .we managed to put it back on and it was a big struggle as the ground on the stream Bank was so wet that it kept sinking down no matter how many logs we put under the chassis.  In the end we used the Matbro successfully and I tracked back to the yard about another mile.

Five yards from the concrete base where the JCB lives we lost all drive and the bearing had disintegrated allowing the planetary gear assembly to slip off the drive axle.

Could not swear too much as the old fella had done a hell of a job and made it home

Can someone remind me of the best way to split a heavy track and rejoin it

I did it once when we first bought it but that was twenty years ago and my wrists were in good condition (see injuries thread!) so the pins knocked out quite easily

I wish there was a machine operating like an air gun that does the job for you, bit like a jack hammer.  Is there such a thing?

B12024B3-2D10-4806-A5F4-F9DF6A875DB5.jpeg

62440721-4431-4BA0-82B0-D520DFCBD0C6.jpeg

AF5687E9-186A-4CBE-B4B7-8DCA86B0A1E9.jpeg

• Sad 1

Drop two plates off the chain and  give yourself a bit of space, you can then beat/press out the pin or cut it out with a thin disc.

Bob

Edit, why split the track? prop the machine on the track frame, slacken off the adjusters and use the machine to drag the track off complete.

Edited by aspenarb
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, openspaceman said:

Long time ago but there used to be a master pin with a dimple on it which could be knocked out. @Deafhead may remember

Hi, yes I have replaced quite a few track chains, but the accent is on replaced. The old chains were just cut off with a torch and the new ones ( usually Berco) came with a drive in joining pin and that was a two sledgehammer job. As Aspenarb says, you can usually roll the track on or off with the adjusters fully released. Or go on a job miles from anywhere and they will come off on their own. Looking at the problem you might have to get inventive with a decent bottle jack to get the grease out of the adjusters and then use some decent crowbars to prise the track off. Keep the swear box handy.

Edited by Deafhead
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Deafhead said:

Hi, yes I have replaced quite a few track chains, but the accent is on replaced. The old chains were just cut off with a torch and the new ones ( usually Berco) came with a drive in joining pin and that was a two sledgehammer job.

Strangely I remember helping someone replace track chains early on, if it wasn't with you it must have been on the Case 850 at one of my early jobs.

The joining pin did have a dimple though didn't it?

I late did the same with my Case 450a and did knock the joining pin out and connected the old chain to the new and drove forward on to it, I did use the gas axe to cut the track plate bolts off. I got the chain, bolts and drive sprocket from INMARLO near Chertsey bridg, over thirty years ago now.

There are two pins with dimples and I did split the track before as we found a better one to replace it

I had not considered taking it off unbroken as it weighs so much also it is too close to the wall for room to work

I will split it and I do have the Matbro to assist

I remember the effort knocking the pin out last time hence I was wondering if there was a power tool designed to knock out pins

I know some fit young lads who need some exercise after Lockdown and a crate of beer might work out cheapest in the long run!

• Like 1