Fings wot broke

aspenarb

1 hour ago, swinny said:

Bastardo.....

Loader bracket bolt.... Big ISH thing.... Tried heat with my little torch and stilsons.... Then welded a big nut on and then heated the heck out of the bolt and casing.... Bolt sheared behind the weld.... Twat. 

Left for another day. Any suggestions?

IMG_20200415_190631.jpg

It looks like the one below it already has a helicoil in it. I think I'd drill it out and retap.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, swinny said:

Bastardo.....

Loader bracket bolt.... Big ISH thing.... Tried heat with my little torch and stilsons.... Then welded a big nut on and then heated the heck out of the bolt and casing.... Bolt sheared behind the weld.... Twat. 

Left for another day. Any suggestions?

IMG_20200415_190631.jpg

A friend of ours would often snap the loader frame bolts in his MF 390T, the dealer would carefully burn them out with an oxy acetylene cutting torch. Didn't matter that the hole was blind, you'd just have to be careful of the splashback. Start in the centre and work your way out. If you don't feel brave enough to take it out close to the threads it ought to still contract enough to remove.

8 minutes ago, Toad said:

A friend of ours would often snap the loader frame bolts in his MF 390T, the dealer would carefully burn them out with an oxy acetylene cutting torch. Didn't matter that the hole was blind, you'd just have to be careful of the splashback. Start in the centre and work your way out. If you don't feel brave enough to take it out close to the threads it ought to still contract enough to remove.

I  can see why this would work  as the casting won't burn if it is cast iron, this is because the  cementite (iron carbide) in cast iron does not readily oxidise. A hole in cast steel or mild steel will burn as fast as the bolt.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

Changing bottom rollers on Drotts you became quite expert at burning bolts out of blind holes. With the small Sapphire torch it was quite a delicate job, mainly because you were on your back looking upwards. 

Did I ever tell the story about how I could blow bubble through my ear ?

• 2 weeks later...

Got you you bastard! What a git this has been.... Welded nuts on and sheared off, welded big washer on and then a nut... Sheared off.... Each time applying lots of heat. This time (not touched it for days) drilled a big hole in the flat bar. Put over bolt and snot it on well on full power!. 

Bar was 16" long and needed big tube on still to get it to shift! Got so far till flat bar fouled the axle then had to cut it down and use some adjustable spanner on it.Tight to the end! 

And it has also been helicoiled!

IMG_20200429_144904.jpg

IMG_20200429_144914.jpg

• Like 15

12 hours ago, swinny said:

Got you you bastard! What a git this has been.... Welded nuts on and sheared off, welded big washer on and then a nut... Sheared off.... Each time applying lots of heat. This time (not touched it for days) drilled a big hole in the flat bar. Put over bolt and snot it on well on full power!. 

Bar was 16" long and needed big tube on still to get it to shift! Got so far till flat bar fouled the axle then had to cut it down and use some adjustable spanner on it.Tight to the end! 

And it has also been helicoiled!

IMG_20200429_144904.jpg

IMG_20200429_144914.jpg

Well done !

• Like 1