Fings wot broke

aspenarb

18 hours ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Got these crap picture in the dark earlier if you can recognise it from these. If not I’ll try and find out the make and model tomorrow. Do certain ones have certain issues. IMG_0290.jpgIMG_0291.jpg

If its a scatolini tipper, sounds like you have the same problem i had. Its tne bearings that sit either side of the bottom of the ram. Mine had seized and they couldnt move so the ram could lower. Annoyingly, they are not greasable, so it was a ram out job to free them and get them working.

• Like 2

So.. changing a tie rod has become a larger than anticipated job, couldn't get the inner joint to unscrew from the power steering ram and there's only so much heat you can apply to a ram!
It's out with the power steering which means dropping the front axle, and off to be cut and rebored.
The unavailability of a replacement tie rod is the main cause of hardship, apparently they were snapping too regularly and kukje decided to stop production and only supply the beefed up ones, which come as a single unit. 20190312_114258.jpeg20190312_114147.jpeg20190312_114213.jpeg

• Like 1

So.. changing a tie rod has become a larger than anticipated job, couldn't get the inner joint to unscrew from the power steering ram and there's only so much heat you can apply to a ram!
It's out with the power steering which means dropping the front axle, and off to be cut and rebored.
The unavailability of a replacement tie rod is the main cause of hardship, apparently they were snapping too regularly and kukje decided to stop production and only supply the beefed up ones, which come as a single unit. 20190312_114258.thumb.jpeg.07a5d64b3af31218f34aa066055ed0e9.jpeg20190312_114147.thumb.jpeg.647858196bcac46ae27bb6d1b625c6cc.jpeg20190312_114213.thumb.jpeg.fad2def41ca091b91d16cf3b00a8fce3.jpeg

Thats shite Conor! Just what ya need eh, and if you’ve had to sort it out in this shitty weather then i sympathise! Been stuck out in it all this morning, freezing cold and proper piss wet through, squelching more than an otters pocket during a hardcore session!!! [emoji27]?

28 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

The unavailability of a replacement tie rod is the main cause of hardship, apparently they were snapping too regularly and kukje decided to stop production and only supply the beefed up ones, which come as a single unit.

Conor my go to for oddball joints is an old Q&H reference book, joints,tie rods and track rod ends are all listed with the thread diameter, pitch and taper. Your eyes may go squiffy looking through the pages but I would be surprised if you never found something that fits/matches . Sourced the obsolete track rod ends on the Sambron telehandler using the same manual.

Bob

imagejpg2_zps3266f313.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1b4aa899.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ratman said:

Thats shite Conor! Just what ya need eh, and if you’ve had to sort it out in this shitty weather then i sympathise! Been stuck out in it all this morning, freezing cold and proper piss wet through, squelching more than an otters pocket during a hardcore session!!! emoji27.png?

I got it in the door of the shed, strapped up the front and lifted it with the digger, then rolled it in. Wasn't staying out on the ground in that weather! 

Spent a few hours out in the late morning and afternoon. Winched a lanky multistem ash over and ringed it up. Said enough was enough and came back to the shed. It's as windy here as I have ever felt it. At least the rain has stopped now that I've come inside.

A mate of mine is a fitter in a quarry. He spent three hours lying on the underside of a belt this morning, fitting roller bearings. I honestly do not know how he sticks at it. The silt and rain mixed is horrible stuff.

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

Conor my go to for oddball joints is an old Q&H reference book, joints,tie rods and track rod ends are all listed with the thread diameter, pitch and taper. Your eyes may go squiffy looking through the pages but I would be surprised if you never found something that fits/matches . Sourced the obsolete track rod ends on the Sambron telehandler using the same manual.

Bob

imagejpg2_zps3266f313.jpg

imagejpg1_zps1b4aa899.jpg

Thank you. Its too late now as i have committed to this job, the ram is gone for boring, but I will keep that book in mind for future reference.. mog tierods etc. Appreciate the help, cheers!

• Like 1

I got it in the door of the shed, strapped up the front and lifted it with the digger, then rolled it in. Wasn't staying out on the ground in that weather! 
Spent a few hours out in the late morning and afternoon. Winched a lanky multistem ash over and ringed it up. Said enough was enough and came back to the shed. It's as windy here as I have ever felt it. At least the rain has stopped now that I've come inside.
A mate of mine is a fitter in a quarry. He spent three hours lying on the underside of a belt this morning, fitting roller bearings. I honestly do not know how he sticks at it. The silt and rain mixed is horrible stuff.

Yeah its horrendous up in our quarry, turns to almost like a slurry, then when it dries out its like a ultra fine sand/dust, bloody horrible when it gets in ur eyes, overalls, jackets etc! I’d av to be paid seriously well to be out on my back doing that shite! Its bad enough we go crawling under trailers in rain sorting air leaks and strapping axles up for broken springs etc.

1 minute ago, Ratman said:

Yeah its horrendous up in our quarry, turns to almost like a slurry, then when it dries out its like a ultra fine sand/dust, bloody horrible when it gets in ur eyes, overalls, jackets etc! I’d av to be paid seriously well to be out on my back doing that shite! Its bad enough we go crawling under trailers in rain sorting air leaks and strapping axles up for broken springs etc.

Two years back I had the pleasure of clearing trees  downwind of the main crusher. During a few dry, breezy days of course! The dust and grit was almost unbearable. I was averaging 3 cuts per sharpen due to the embedded dust and grit in the trees.

Power has gone here now too! That means no shed tonight.. so its either poitin, wine or beer.. life is full of hard decisions.

• Like 2

Just now, Haironyourchest said:

No way would I consider poitin as an option, what with fine weather forecast tomorrow...

A shot in a herbal tea is nice! Especially when it's infused with elderflower. Have some with hawthorn too. Wouldn't be going for the bottle. That's when things go wrong! It's rough stuff on its own! decided on a bottle of beer in the end, the fridge was closer to me. Complete derail, but I'd like to make mead from our own honey sometime.

• Like 1