Fings wot broke

aspenarb

8 hours ago, Al Cormack said:

Three of the helper leaf springs broken on my 18t grab lorry.

f26adb9b9c8ce56d56511f7776b9a39d.jpg

Had a go at doing this myself, but couldn't get the front bolt undone. Bob Aspenarb brought his 1" petrol driven impact gun around, but still wouldn't undo.

Arranged to go to his place with a new bolt to attack it

0b5db6e18294383fe93186685ca68119.jpg

ddc82de1742de89644f2d766004d1435.jpg

Job done

90d2572d6e4595ccaad4a451f1a4a72e.jpg

Cheers Bob!

Ain't this this the way things should be? Working together and helping each other out rather than  undercutting and competing against each, racing to the bottom.

I've never met Bod, but he comes across on here as a straight up, decent bloke. Hopefully I'll get the opportunity to meet him, and you, at some point, shake hands and share a few pints at some point. With all the bad news/ selfish and bad people about it restores my faith reading posts like this.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

49b1909e67a31b0f19c5fdb09f4676b5.jpg

Not easy to see from this picture the severity of the damage I feel it will probably be a write off.

I was flailing along a tree line and didn't compensate for the fact the front loaded flail over hangs the tractor by around 18inch on one side and I hit a tree.

Complete rookie mistake and believe it or not I am one of the most experienced with the tractors and accessories where I work.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of damage? And if so in you opinion is it fixable?

My opinion is that the metal where creased at the 3 point linkage will now be weakened and never regain its original strength even off straightened. All the rollers, cutters, pto shaft ect are absolutely fine just the main body and linkage bars.

Whoops [emoji15]

I'd be worried that trying to straighten it and the act of bending it will now have the flail shaft running out of true and stress load things. The cover may straighten but put extra plating around the mounts. 

First thing I would do is strip the flail shaft out to make sure it has no kink in it,if that is good I would then  think about straightening and replacing the bent bits,I would not recommend this approach if you have limited fabrication and welding skills. As Pete states the alignment of the bearings is crucial.

As it's the government I work directly for we are not permitted to maintain our own kit I spent 10 years in the forces as a mechanic and I'm not able to even think about brake pads never mind welding. We use contractors for work like this who treble the price.

Mechanic took one look at it and wrote it off now my boss is looking to claim the £11,000 back out of my wages.... I think I'll soon be looking for a new job[emoji106]

As it's the government I work directly for we are not permitted to maintain our own kit I spent 10 years in the forces as a mechanic and I'm not able to even think about brake pads never mind welding. We use contractors for work like this who treble the price.

Mechanic took one look at it and wrote it off now my boss is looking to claim the £11,000 back out of my wages.... I think I'll soon be looking for a new job[emoji106]

What part of the government won’t allow companies to use in house fitters?

Unless you are on a some kind of bonus scheme that can be stopped if you break something until it’s paid back he can’t make you pay for it from your main wages.

That’s got employment tribunal written all over it

It would have to be part of the written contract too.

• Like 4