Timber wanted cash waiting

LeeGray

I've been messed about quite a few times recently either by timber suppliers or hauliers or middlemen promising then not delivering so in a bid to get what I want and cut the chain down as short as possible I thought I'd post here and hope someone can help. I don't want to come to site to look at the trees or source hauliers or unload an artic at the roadside or take it in 3 ton loads at a time. Please read all the information.

I want a wagon and drag load (approx 25t, no artic access, decent access for rigid body) of Douglas fir saw logs mix of lengths but from 16' to 22' (exact details given as needed) minimum top diameter 12". Ideally maximum butt diameter 30" but can work around this if needed.

I have cash waiting for good straight logs delivered to NE65 8DA in the next month. Please get in touch here if you can supply or know someone who can.

Many thanks,

Lee

You want to buy wood without looking at it?

Brave move

The only way I do it if it's not exactly what the description is the drivers not getting paid. Had quite a lot of trouble last year been promised x and getting x with a load of y thrown in.

Bit different with saw log as there working to a set spec and paying for the spec I don't know any more on the mill side of things

Your looking for the top quality saw logs,, Most from commercial forestry is spoken for before cut and your probs best going to an agent/sawmill, going on your postcode your not far from a big place,,

I hand felled about 80 tonne on harvester site couple of weeks ago that would of fit your sizes but it went as 13 metre logs for hole pole log cabins,

Seen a wagon at Newcastleton area last week heading west and it had a huge load , 8 logs of pure quality

Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm aware I'm looking for top quality saw logs, however I'm surrounded by woods full of them that seem ready for felling. I wrongly assumed that for the right price (probably over the odds compared with what the mills are paying) I'd be able to buy a small quantity from a local operation.

Going through agents has been a non starter and just takes loads of time. Local mill doesn't want to sell stuff that size.

Lots of stuff around us has already blown over! I bid on a wood 50m from our fields last year to buy, went 10k over the asking price as was mega convenient and was still outbid. Lot of wind blow stuff laid in it before sale now it's got about 20% still standing with no one doing any management whatsoever.

Is there something I'm missing? I know I'm not from the industry so there might be something obvious. Have no trouble getting hold of logs to the same spec but limited to 12' lengths as the feller won't handle anything longer. Is it weight? Trouble with cranes at that length? H+S aspect? Different felling licenses?

Got a guy with 250acres nearby who can fell them but now says his crane can't lift them. Does that sound reasonable or an excuse for not having correct license or experience?

All honesty appreciated.

Had some 44 to 60inch 12 ft long delivered and lifted by crane so between two and three tons. I would think most timber lorries would lift that.

I buy a few thousand tons a year and find its hassle free. You just have to find the right supplier.

If you can find a cutter on here to supply you then probably the cheapest.

Alternatively if all else fails contact Euro forest, I would think they would help you out as they have many contacts and will organise the whole thing.

Depends what he's lifting it with. Equiptment will vary. The other thing you'll struggle with is wanting 2 specs on a load. With the quantity you want you'll not be able to dictate specs as it will most likely have been cut to spec by who ever bought it standing. You'll just have to try euro forest/tilhill/Scottish woodlands and be paitent. Second to that find a harvesting site, speak to the operators and waft twenty pound notes under their noses.