Is Leylandii/Conifer Logs worth anything?

Sussex Groundie

So, everyone is agreed, leylandii makes good firewood...

But is the OP not actually clearing up a stand of western red cedar?

He says its fallen Leylandii . I don't think he is felling any standing timber whatever the species .

So, everyone is agreed, leylandii makes good firewood...

But is the OP not actually clearing up a stand of western red cedar?

Have to agree- those big trees look mighty suspiciously unlike Scots Pine with those huge buttresses on the trunks. I have got overstood 80 year old Western Hemlock that looks just like them- and they do look much more WRC than scots, but maybe its the pics. The Leylandii phoenix trees are just amazing- i want some.

• Like 2

Since I put my stove in in feb, all I have burnt is leylandii and spruce, and its burns hot, and with little ash.

my mate cannot understand why I dont save the "best" logs for myself and sell tne crap.

If its seasoned, its not crap imo, its just the general public think you cannot burn it.

for what its worth, I sneaked a bit on to my relatives pile for their open fire, and it never spat once, but the oak did!!

• Like 1

I have been cutting up fallen Conifer trees from the storms of 1987 in a wood near Gatwick for the past 2 yrs and ended up with a lot of logs! Are they worth anything as it would be a case of a Tele Handler and a Grain Trailer to extract them?

S.G.

I take it they are in short lengths, why not offer for sale to be collected from the wood, rather than the hassle of recouping cost of moving yourself.

As others have said great firewood, seasons quick,very little ash left, don't know why so many folk turn there nose up at it.

• 4 years later...

hi all,I’m an ameture woodturner,I’ve been given as part payment of an invoice owed ,a huge amount of Leylandii Conifer logs,can anyone out there tell me wether l can turn these logs on my wood lathe,I’ve been drying them out inside my garage for 6 months now,and I’m so eager to turn them,please advise me thank you.,

What's stopping you Robert?  The logs were free so does it matter if they turn out to be no good for turning?  I reckon they could be though, especially if you can find a good-sized crotch piece. But even if not Leyland makes very decent firewood.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, nepia said:

What's stopping you Robert?  The logs were free so does it matter if they turn out to be no good for turning?  I reckon they could be though, especially if you can find a good-sized crotch piece. But even if not Leyland makes very decent firewood.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

No they weren't, looks like the poor bloke got mugged off with them as part payment of an invoice!!