GEE Propel Boilers/ Boiler Share

Stihllymok

Update on this.

We got a letter confirming our deposit had been refunded after a long wait.

Apparently new Legislation has made it very difficult for them to complete all the paperwork etc etc..

I suspect our property was on the boundaries so was to risky for them.

I'll KIT if anything else crops up.

Shame as it did appear a pretty good deal.:thumbdown:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

somewhere in the small print there will be requirement for you to produce a minimum level of heat output. RHI is paid for metered heat output, so you have to be able to consume the heat in an approved manner. If you don't fire up the boiler for the required amount of HEAT OUTPUT/CONSUMPTION then they wont get the RHI level that they need to fund the boiler, every year for seven years, if that is what your contract says. If the boiler is ineffiecient, and does not produce the fully rated output of kWhr, then you will be consuming more fuel in order to reach the target.

That is not exclusive to any company doing this type of deal, it is how RHI works. Just becasue your boiler says its output is 50kW it doesn't mean that you can achieve it. If you can only get 25kW out of it then you will use significantly more fuel and will take much longer to achieve the figures. If the boiler heats a water tank, then you still have to use the heat somehow (in an approved manner) to provide more capacity in the water tank so that it can consume some more heat.

RHI is not quite as simple as it sounds! Make sure that you speak to someone who has got one on the same deal and has been operating it for a while and that it is meeting the output targets and the consumption targets.

This is totally incorrect.

The Domestic RHI is not metered, your home is assessed and you are given a KW requirement, you must fit a boiler of at least this size and you then receive payments based on the KW requirement you were given.

Edited by skyhuck

Shame shame.

I'd prefer the simplicity of just throwing logs into a wood burner and not have to deal with RHI, pellet suppliers etc. But would also like the ability to program a timer and come back to a warm house!

What's to stop you loading your burner with logs and using an igniter on a timer? We had little 400W ones on the pellet stoves, switch off when flue reaches 50C or give up after 20 minutes, simple logic.

Because I didn't know it was possible to get auto ignition systems for a standard wood burner! Do you have to run electrical wires into the log burner, or how do they work?

Thank you, useful to know they exist...

It may take some fiddling but the fan and igniter are outside the combustion chamber, it's like a small hair dryer but hotter, blows in through an insulated tube.

It may take some fiddling but the fan and igniter are outside the combustion chamber, it's like a small hair dryer but hotter, blows in through an insulated tube.

Do you think an electric heat gun/paint stripper type would do the job? The one on our

1 MW was a bit slow but on a smaller boiler should work well I would have thought.

Do you think an electric heat gun/paint stripper type would do the job? The one on our

1 MW was a bit slow but on a smaller boiler should work well I would have thought.

I'd expect any industrial grade heat gun would do the job, as you say they can be a bit slow and smoky compared with a flame. I'll have a look on the one on the chip stoker tomorrow

• 10 months later...

we're still getting letters offering us free biomass boilers.:confused1:

I reckon they just drive around looking for oil tanks or use records to figure out who's off grid like us.

feel like letting one of these crowd run through the hoops again just to see if anything changed.:sneaky2:

anyone had any recent exprience or are they all sharks..?:thumbdown: