New Chain Sticking

Justjames1961

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The fact that you say it's meant to be a genuine still chain makes me wonder.

If it is a stihl chain and all the sizing matches the bar check for damaged dive links especially if you can see where the chain has been joined together. The dive links can get slightly bent while punching out the rivets if it's not done correctly.

When you get the chance, check the bar rails for signs of pinching. Maybe the old chain has drive links, that have worn thin and now easily glide along the bar. Whereas the new chain's drive links are thicker and are being squished by the worn rails. Just a thought.

Hi all, wonder if someone can point me in the right direction here.

Fitted a new chain to my MS 251 and it runs fine for about 30 seconds or so, then it jams in the bar.

Saw is oiling fine, it's meant to be a genuine Stihl chain, thought bar was past its best so tried a new bar as well, same thing happens.

Put old chain on and runs fine. Confused .com???

I had this with a new Husqvarna I bought from the states a few years ago, when the dollar was 2:1.

I can't remember the exact details, but I think the chain and bar were right for each other but not for the sprocket. When you ran the saw the chain was jumping on the sprocket and the tips of the tangs were getting burred-out, making them too wide for the bar groove.

It did exactly what you described - started fine but as soon as you got the chain brake off and tried to cut, the chain would jam.

The chain was goosed, but the bar was basically okay and everything came good once we got the right sprocket for the chain and bar on! :thumbup:

Saw got nicked off the first job mind, but that's another story!..... :thumbdown: