DIY firewood.

blaggy111

We can offer you a full container of 28 pallets (24 tonns) Birch/Ash/Oak/Alder kiln dried logs for a very low price. Please email [email protected]

Thank you.

Hi, Welcome to the forum,

MP Wood company appear to be based in Latvia, this is a brand new company, with what looks like a paid up shareholder funds of 2 Euros.

MP WOOD COMPANY, SIA, 42103071758 - company data

However the company registration number does not appear to tie up, are you this company or related or somebody totally different. My thought is that you are this company hence my post.

I ask as a typical load at £70 for a 1 cube stacked crate or so means an outlay of £6k or so, people need to be aware of who they are buying from especially if they are paying up front.

It would probably be better to register here as a trade firewood supplier. Several members here do bring in from the Baltic, I have myself but there are other members here who have been caught big time, with either no wood or mouldy wood.

A

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can get you timber on the deck for £63 a tonne I'm not making I'll give you numbers of forester and transport they will both want paying up front[/quote

Is that 63 quid delivered? Sorry if that's a daft question, any names numbers would be a help, cheers.

Yes £63 delivered ill pm you the numbers now

• 2 months later...

Having had a rough old year so far, money wise, my idea of buying a full load has gone on the back burner. Still on the lookout for a cheap source of firewood I have bought a few loads of mixed arb waste. Had 3 loads about 1.5 ton per load at 80 quid a time plus a free load of silver birch from a tree I dismantled for a work mate. I think about 6 ton in total has created 10ish stacked cubic meters of logs, do these figures sound about right?

I went down this route 6 yrs ago, it can be a massive saving compared to buying in logs, all depending on the price you can get it delivered in for, but you do need a lot of space, and a fair amount of time to dedicate to it, I reckon I spend about 6 weeks a year on firewood.

Think about getting a small old tractor sooner rather than later, it'll run a splitter, and a power loader will make the job a whole lot easier, my Ford 3000 rig was cheaper than a new stand alone splitter.

Build a massive wood store, enough to store 45 cube (about one artic load). I've tried using vented bags stacked 3 high in a pyramid covered with tarp, got full of rats so all the wood in the bottom/centre of pile was covered in **** and stinks of ratpiss, some of the bottom bags rotted (and they were on pallets) ended up jetwashing logs and re-stacking in a shed for 6 months just to try and get rid of it. I'm building my 4th woodstore this year so I don't have to use vented bags again, a 10ft lean to each side of a 20ft container I use as a workshop, this in addition to the c.18 cube stores I have already.

Don't buy in softwood, it's just not worth it in terms of processing and storage (softwood uses twice the space/processing for the same calorific value as hardwood), you can't leave it in a stack in the open for long before it'll start rotting, it's only just about worth processing it if it's free. I'm sure pros/people on here will disagree as they can sell it, YMMV! I've just got through 50 cube of willow I got "free" (free is a relative term by the time the log hits the logbburner :lol: ) no way would I pay to go though that again :001_tt2:

It saves some cash, it's rewarding work, but after 6 years of waking up to freezing cold house in winter, we're planning to have undefloor heating fitted (open loop geothermal via boreholes) so the logburners will be more of an occasional thing rather than a chore. I'd still have woodburners tho, can't beat a real fire, and the resiliance factor considering gov energy policy is a real benefit for piece of mind IMO.

Good luck!

when you calculated the big saving did you put a cost on the 6 weeks you spent splitting logs, pretty sure you wouldn't work at your normal job for free.

when you calculated the big saving did you put a cost on the 6 weeks you spent splitting logs, pretty sure you wouldn't work at your normal job for free.

Hobbies and real job - two separate things mate.What we do for leisure usually costs us some of the money we earned in the real job. Firewood hobbyist's actually see a return in savings made on the gas, oil bills etc. So if you enjoy doing the work, its win, win.

If it was just cutting and splitting cord it'd be even better on the time, can do 5 cube a day, so say 10 days processing for almmost two years wood best case.

I'm spending a lot longer collecting & processing arb waste/"free wood", dropped a few big willows and polar here too, which doubles the time spent processing for softwood for same calorific value, but it all saves on the cash outlay in the end.

I'm semi retired/taking a few gap years between businesses while we renovate our house, I could weigh up my labour/time against working/erning more but I don't want to work more thanks, I'd much rather potter about in my own time to save money bypassing log suppliers (and biulders) so I don't have to work:001_tt2:

If it was just cutting and splitting cord it'd be even better on the time, can do 5 cube a day, so say 10 days processing for almmost two years wood best case.

I'm spending a lot longer collecting & processing arb waste/"free wood", dropped a few big willows and polar here too, which doubles the time spent processing for softwood for same calorific value, but it all saves on the cash outlay in the end.

I'm semi retired/taking a few gap years between businesses while we renovate our house, I could weigh up my labour/time against working/erning more but I don't want to work more thanks, I'd much rather potter about in my own time to save money bypassing log suppliers (and biulders) so I don't have to work:001_tt2:

Lets hope when you start your next business everyone decides to bypass you then.

Lets hope when you start your next business everyone decides to bypass you then.

How ridiculous, do you think decorators, restaurant owners, mechanics, gardeners, vegetable growers, etc, etc, sulk when they see people doing what are pretty much every day tasks?????:001_rolleyes:

Once of a day everyone would have cut their own fuel, but times change and many choose not to and pay others for the service, but many get satisfaction from doing their own, good for them I say, beats paying for a gym membership :thumbup: