DIY firewood.

blaggy111

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its good to have peoples opinions on this, given me a few things to think about. It won't be a sole operation as my brother going in halves with me (money and graft to get it into logs) I'm pretty set on doing this, but if it doesn't work out how I expect its not the end of the world.

I started in Januari 2013 and have done around 90 stacked m³ by now, I've also got 35 stacked m³ (should be around that once split and stacked) ready to be split. Started out with oak and working with blue-beech and beech right now. We use 12-15m³ a year.

We had no wood left after my parents got divorced and no tools either. I started with building scraps first (not counted in with the above amount of m³) and then moved on to real wood. Only tools I use are 2 chainsaws (Stihl 362 and 064), started out with a Fiskars x27 (first 72m³, weekly workout for sure, free gym) and have a homemade log splitter now. Stacking off the ground on a pallet or something like it is best, I tarp it all on top. I prefer this to stacking inside a building because it is easy accessible and dries better, faster than in the wood shop we have (open from 3 sides). I don't know your knowledge about chainsaws and the use of it but you can learn a lot on a short time if needed. Lots of info on the internet, just always be careful.

I agree with Pumpy on the softwood thing, not worth the hassle. Hardwood ain't much more expensive and the work stays the same. You just end up with better wood. The buy in price is also important, because that will be your main expense. So finding a good supplier is crucial, I'm still trying different ones. The thing is, you don't know how much wood you have, how expensive it was, until you have processed it all.

A small tractor would probably help you out big time (my father and I used to have one), but you can do without. I did make a trailer with a small crane on it, trying to use standalone pallets in the future so I don't need to load the wood manually again but can easily move it to the house.

You can save some money by doing this, but it will take some time each year. If you and your brother enjoy working outside, this can be a good hobby that pays for itself and more and more tools. Also nice to spend time with your brother on it. If not, well you'll find out soon enough. Good luck ;)

we do roughly 50 tonne a year for personal use. We buy in two Arctic's for between 2.5and 3k. Then we spend 3 days processing the lot. Tomorrow will be the last day for this year processing 2016 wood. We know a chap with a small processor. He comes fir three days. Processor to transit, tipped in log shed and stacked. 750 to processor man. So two artic loads split and stacked in three days for around 3.5k. 3 very hard days but better than an easy 6 weeks. There's usually 1/2 a days work for the splitter with the gnarly bits at the end.

I've used a forestry haulier to deliver oak for milling. I know he operates between Derbyshire and Mid Wales, but probably elsewhere too.

Depending on distance I've paid £12-£20 a tonne haulage between 25 and 100 miles, including time spent picking thru stacks in the wood to get the best timbers for my purposes, so may be cheaper for firewood, but don't quote me on that.

You might be looking at £65 a tonne plus vat delivered in, depending on what he knows about in your area. If it's personal firewood the VAT would only be 5%. I've had decent hardwood logs at £45 a tonne plus haulage and vat.

No affiliation, just been very happy with what his company has done for me so don't mind saying so.

I probably shouldn't pass on his details over a public forum without his permission, but if you're interested I could give him a call and ask him if it's ok to pass on his number, which I'm sure it will be.

Oli

If you could get a number/name it would be appreciated, cheers.

The heaviest fire wood user that I know gets through at least 2 wheelie bins full of logs per day in winter. He came to an arrangement with a local forester where he pays £150 (incl delivery) for 8 tons of oversized logs & off cuts of either hard or softwood depending what the company is processing at the time. When each load is delivered he pays me for a days work with a chainsaw & a Fiskars X27 to cut & split it then he just has to finish stacking whatever I haven't finished stacking tidy himself. Works out cheap & does not require much effort on his part.