firewood costs

Steve Bullman

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Supply and demand. People run out of wood last year not enough people supplying. If costs go up more people will process and then drive the price down again. Cant win can you

True enough, but its hard enough to get the stock in, most people will do a couple of loads and decide its too hard.

I did about 4 grands worth last winter with an axe and a chainsaw,hard work but worthwhile,ran out of wood last time but managed to save about 3 times the amount this year,what i bought in was crapp to wet and no way of drying it out,but im ahead of things this year,so bring on the frost,and mabe a log splitter.

I reckon firewood is a winner at the moment although I don't tend to buy wood in.... But I only deliver no further than 20 mins drive away (or ask for delivery cost). I know more people may start to jump on the bandwagon but I sold out in 6 weeks last year. I think you'll always sell what you dry in the same year.

£80 a month for a yard doesn't sound too much a month when you must be selling around £15,000 of firewood a year (just guessing looking at tonnage your selling).

Have you tried calling other tree surgeons in the area and offer them free disposal of logs and/or picking up their felled wood for free? I get most of my stuff from other tree surgeons who don't want to deal with it.... Mind you I mill a lot of the wood first and the off cuts go as the firewood.... It's the milling that keeps my interest.

But if you're just fed up with the hassal of doing it maybe sell your processor and all the rest.... You'd free up a lot of time for other projects. There's not a lot of job satisfaction in just firewood.... well pretty much none at all in fact!